U5 random reboots

Saif Barry

Hello fellow BuzzTV users. I'm experiencing stability issues with my U5 where it will either reboot itself or feeeze at random intervals. I have done a hard reset through the boot loader twice now.

Please see the video recording to see what is happening after a hard reset here: https://youtu.be/UeQ3x4nhS_g

I can eventually get past the remote setup screen before the U5 reboots again by quickly getting the remote into pairing mode before the pairing screen even appears, where it will detect the remote and continue with the setup process.

The U5 will randomly reboot multiple times during the rest of the setup process as well. I can complete the setup process eventually and configure the U5 with a couple of servers. However it still randomly reboots when I'm watching something.

Sometimes, the U5 will get stuck in a bootloop, going through 8 to 10 reboots before it will reach the launcher again. See here: https://youtu.be/Ho3_BihGREw

So far I have done the following to resolve the issue but nothing seems to be helping. 

- Updated the device to the latest firmware. 

- Removed the hard drive.

- Tried an alternate power supply rated at 12v 2a.

- Tried an alternate HDMI cable.

- CEC options are disabled. 

I already have a support ticket open for this since the 11th of July. Got an initial response asking for a purchase receipt and MAC address for the device which I replied to the following day. Haven't heard anything back since then despite a follow-up. Hoping someone here can help.

15 minutes ago, Saif Barry said:

Hello fellow BuzzTV users. I'm experiencing stability issues with my U5 where it will either reboot itself or feeeze at random intervals. I have done a hard reset through the boot loader twice now.

Please see the video recording to see what is happening after a hard reset here: https://youtu.be/UeQ3x4nhS_g

I can eventually get past the remote setup screen before the U5 reboots again by quickly getting the remote into pairing mode before the pairing screen even appears, where it will detect the remote and continue with the setup process.

The U5 will randomly reboot multiple times during the rest of the setup process as well. I can complete the setup process eventually and configure the U5 with a couple of servers. However it still randomly reboots when I'm watching something.

Sometimes, the U5 will get stuck in a bootloop, going through 8 to 10 reboots before it will reach the launcher again. See here: https://youtu.be/Ho3_BihGREw

So far I have done the following to resolve the issue but nothing seems to be helping. 

- Updated the device to the latest firmware. 

- Removed the hard drive.

- Tried an alternate power supply rated at 12v 2a.

- Tried an alternate HDMI cable.

- CEC options are disabled. 

I already have a support ticket open for this since the 11th of July. Got an initial response asking for a purchase receipt and MAC address for the device which I replied to the following day. Haven't heard anything back since then despite a follow-up. Hoping someone here can help.

im sure you will get help through support  Its only been 3 work days

• Like 1

@Ryu I used a 2amp power supply because that's what I had lying around. I was trying to rule out the OEM power supply as possible source of the problems. AFAIK, using a higher amp rating should be a problem. I checked my junk folder, nothing there and sent a follow up email as you suggested.  

@nbs. Thanks for your reply. I haven't given up on BuzzTV support yet. I've had this box for about a month now and it's been glitchy from the start. Spent a couple of weeks trying to fix it on my own and then reached out to support when I couldn't. However, truth be told, I was expecting a bit faster response time. The reasons for posting the issue here were,

1. Thats what their website and support number say to do, and

2. I figured there are a lot of experienced users here who might have run across the same or similar issue and could provide guidance. 

Kinda getting frustrated with not being able to watch TV without having to deal with random reboots and freezes. 

On another note, how do you quote someone's message when replying? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tlr said:

Any update on this problem? I am experiencing the same thing with one of my U5's. It will stutter very fast and then reboot ramdomly, sometimes multiple times a day.

OP never posted back so no there has not been an update

Have you done a pin reset?

Pin reset will erase everything.  Including favorites.

Just curious, I have to ask, since many have made the mistake.  You are actually using the power supply that came with your U5, and not a power supply from a previous Buzz box ?  Reason I ask, is because the U5 uses a 12V power supply, which most others (except the xrs4900) all use a 5V power supply.  The U5 will power up, and seem to work with the 5V power supply, but can be unstable.  You need to use the 12V one that came with the U5.

You can contact buzz about it.  But if it will end up to send it back for a replacement or whatever they decide, you may as well do the pin reset.  Yes you will lose your favorites (but you would also if they swap the box).  So you have nothing more to lose, except potentially fixing the issue and avoiding to sent it back.

With the next OTA update they will probably be including a "backup" option (to be able to backup favorites and other stuff), but I have no idea and can't make ay promises on when the next update will be going out.  All i know, is that it has ben included a while back in the beta version.

@Tlr Yeah, my box does the fast stutter and reboots too. 

Unfortunately I don't have anything positive to report on this. I still have what seems to be a defective box and zero support from BuzzTV. I was able to get through to support on WhatsApp. After a lot of troubleshooting, changing of power supplies, power outlets and sharing of video recordings of the problem, I was told they need time to review and would get back to me. That was on July 25. I followed up on August 2 and my message was read but was not responded to. My original ticket #20217 from 11 July is still open and unresolved. 

At this point I've accepted my losses and given up on expectations of any kind of customer support. Lesson learned, don't buy BuzzTV. 

Screenshot_20230826_230548_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Saif Barry
Formatting

33 minutes ago, nbs. said:

Have you ever tried the buzz power adapter for your country?

The 3 power adapters are the only ones I have tried. One of them is what I got from buzz which is the EU version rated for 100v to 240v and 50-60Hz.

I'm in Saudi Arabia where the standard is 230v and 60Hz. The electrical system in Saudi claims to follow the UK standard which is 230v and 50Hz. As far as I know, the EU and UK power adapter is the same except for the plug on it. If this is not true please correct me.

2 minutes ago, Ryu said:

do you have outlet tester? just to see if your power outlet (from wall) is correct? also, its possible for you to test this unit on different tv?

I have a voltage tester if that's what you mean. I'll check the voltage and report back. I will also check the U5 on another TV and room altogether.

• Like 1

you can use voltage tester to test power supply and make sure you are getting correct power from power supply and not sure if your voltage tester all functions but this is what im talking about. 

1.png

Edited by Ryu

33 minutes ago, Ryu said:

you can use voltage tester to test power supply and make sure you are getting correct power from power supply and not sure if your voltage tester all functions but this is what im talking about. 

1.png

No, I don't have anything like that on hand. However I would suspect if the electrical system at my place was improper I would see other devices malfunctioning or getting damaged. Apart from the typical household appliances, I have the usual battery of electronics at my place, a router, a modem, several wifi access points, PCs, laptops, TVs, TV boxes etc. Never had a problem with anything. The U5 is the only thing misbehaving. 

I was able to test the voltage on the outlets and the power supply, both of which check out. 227v and 12.58v respectively.

I also tested the U5 with a different TV, in another room using a different outlet, (replacing a working 12v Android box) with no change in behavior. Still goes into a bootloop.

Actually the U5 doesn't even have to be connected to a TV, you can tell it's in a bootloop looking at the indicator light on the front. Goes red after after 30 or so seconds. It does eventually boots to the launcher but then will reboot again after a random period of time.

20230827_190128.jpg

20230827_185828.jpg

• Like 1

I know it is a long shot, but do you have a UPS (typically used for computers) ?

A while back I had various things that started getting flaky.  And it turned out it was a bad neutral coming into my home from my hydro company.  Combined with the regular brownouts from our hydro company, it was causing havoc on many of my electronics.

Plug the unit into a UPS, and that way the UPS is used both as a power conditioner.  Brownouts are often hard to detect, unless you have a scope.  So using a UPS just ensure power is clean.