U5 random reboots

Saif Barry

1 hour ago, Ryu said:

you can use voltage tester to test power supply and make sure you are getting correct power from power supply and not sure if your voltage tester all functions but this is what im talking about. 

1.png

For these block power adapters, these testers won't help much.  At least the North American version, don't use a ground on these adapters (so open ground or not, does not matter).  And do not even have polarized connectors, so they do not even care if hot and neutral are reversed (so you can plug them in any direction).

Under normal circumstances, I agree this a a basic test to ensure things are wired properly.   You'd be surprised how many DIY renos are done completely wrong 🙂

• Like 1

Unfortunately no I don't access to a UPS here. I think I've jumped through enough hoops with this box. It shouldn't take this much effort to get a TV box working. Everything else here works, and this should too.

I've got 2 other TV boxes working in the apartment and several more that I have purchased for friends and family all tested and setup here in this very apartment. From MAGs to Formulers to no brand cheap Chinese boxes. Never had a problem with any one of them. I may not be an expert but I don't consider myself a novice either. 

On @nbs. suggestion I will give BuzzTV customer support one more try on Monday to sort this out otherwise I'm done. I'll take hit of buying the U5 and having it shipped to Saudi. I can't return it now considering I'd lose even more money shipping it back to Buzz and then paying more shipping and customs to have another one shipped back to me here.

I bought the U5 based on rave reviews and past experience with the XRS 4500 looking for a new reliable box. The BuzzTV 5 app is great when it works. However this whole thing and nearly 2 months of poor post-sales service has left a sour taste in the mouth.

@Tlr appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue. Unfortunately, the update didn't help in my situation at all.

By the way, can the veterans here let me know what the typical response time is from BuzzTV technical support team?

Edited by Saif Barry

1 hour ago, Saif Barry said:

@Tlr appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue. Unfortunately, the update didn't help in my situation at all.

By the way, can the veterans here let me know what the typical response time is from BuzzTV technical support team?

Right now lots of our staff are on vacation
So our current response times are 24-48 Hours

• Like 1

Correct @allaboutbuzz, I received the shipping confirmation on Wednesday. It takes around 10 to 15 days for stuff from the US to reach me here in Saudi. Will confirm what happens with the new power supply once I get it.

Also, I'm currently visiting my parents in another city. They live in a newer, code compliant apartment complex. I brought the U5 with me to test it here.

Disconnected their Android TV box from their TV and replaced it with the U5 using the power supply that came with the U5. No change in behavior. The U5 still goes into a bootloop.

So this pretty much rules out the electrical system at my apartment as the cause of the problem. Now it's between the power supply and the U5 itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the new UK power supply sent by BuzzTV. Unfortunately there's no change in behavior of the U5 with the new power supply. The U5 still goes into a bootloop for several minutes before eventually reaching the launcher and it still randomly reboots even when it does start working.

So I guess it wasn't the power supply after all.

For anyone who's interested, here's a video recording of my last test. It took around 10 minutes for it to reach the launcher. Around 9 minutes later it rebooted again. 

https://youtu.be/MMFvQOJRvSg

• 1 month later...