U5 color space setting

ismael

I can not change the color space setting it's greyed. It's stucked on YCbCr420.

Not a problem from my TV, because on the others devices I can change this option.

Could you please fix it on next release ?

First of all, you are assuming that the box requires a fix because your equipment, not the box, is not behaving as you would like it to.

First of all, changing color spaces are NOT necessarily supported on ALL HDMI inputs of a specific TV.   So make sure to try other inputs.

Also, depending on the brand of TV, they may impose all sorts of requirements on a stream type/features before they enable and make certain features available.  example, HDR.  The U5, even thought technically supports HDR streams, there is NOTHING, in any official documentation that advertises that (not on the box, not on the buzztv web site, nor the buzztv global we site).

Can't fix something that is not necessarily broken.   And just because you think so, it does not mean it is a fact.

And as with all your posts, you seem to always assume that is is "not a problem with your equipment", just because they work in one specific scenario.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Emporium said:

First of all, you are assuming that the box requires a fix because your equipment, not the box, is not behaving as you would like it to.

First of all, changing color spaces are NOT necessarily supported on ALL HDMI inputs of a specific TV.   So make sure to try other inputs.

Also, depending on the brand of TV, they may impose all sorts of requirements on a stream type/features before they enable and make certain features available.  example, HDR.  The U5, even thought technically supports HDR streams, there is NOTHING, in any official documentation that advertises that (not on the box, not on the buzztv web site, nor the buzztv global we site).

Can't fix something that is not necessarily broken.   And just because you think so, it does not mean it is a fact.

And as with all your posts, you seem to always assume that is is "not a problem with your equipment", just because they work in one specific scenario.

Yes I consider that the box requiers a fix/update, because I tried a lot of boxes from other brand and with all others brands I can change this setting it's not greyed.

Here attached the picture of U5 (setting greyed) and picture from other box (free choice of settings)

Both boxes were on HDMI 1 port, with the same HDMI cable.

If I post something, it's because I tried everything to resolve the issue and I am sure at 99% that the problem does not come from my side.

For me it was obvisous that the box support HDR, I did not ask myself if latest generation box support HDR or not.

And my comments / requests are from improving the Buzz box, I like the boxe and I see a very good potential, but some stuff need to be improved. Because competition has also great products and I will be happy to see buzztv as number 1.

Thank you for your answer.

20240301_202232.jpg

20240301_202101.jpg

I hate to tell you, but your TV is a variable here also.  Because I have my U5 connected to a basic HP 1080p monitor and the color space settings work fine.   OK, I don't have all of those option you show above, but the option is NOT grey...  It is selectable, and changeable.

u5_colorspace1.thumb.png.b387fc64c61400b62a1bf990cd14b672.png

u5_colorspace.thumb.png.1ad58b0c07863eb73774226c531836e1.png

u5_formware.thumb.png.83ecd49e1721d377b67e7f77445d89c2.png

So honestly.. I don't see it needing any bug fix 🙂

So that just goes to show you, that just because YOU tried everything YOU think you can try, it does not automatically mean the box has a bug.  There are MANY things that come into play, and your TV is still one of them.

• Like 3

Could you please try to understand something ?

I don't know if I can post brand here but clearly I will explain you the issue. 

I have Panasonic OLED model produced by Panasonic on 2022, which I think it's up to date TV.

These settings where available with : Formuler Z11 Pro Max BT1, Amiko A11 Gold, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max (2. Gen), Xiaomi TV Box S 4K (2nd. Gen) and others ...

What are you trying to explain me in fact ?

It's issue from my TV ? But with all others boxes the option is available ...

What's your point of view

U5 compatibility should be improved ? Or should I change my TV (which has not problem with other box brands) ?

In fact I don't understand what you try to tell me

I should accept that's this option it's not available with U5, which I paid more than 200 euros ? And available from 50 euros box ?

Really tell me, because it's like I just need to shut up and be happy with this issue

Just now, dishuser said:

wow

why are you so negative and rude?

sorry in fact you don't see that each time I ask something it's always a problem from my side or from my equipement

In fact if I can not ask some feature or complain about something which does not work for me, just tell it

And could you please tell me what I should do to have this option working (color space setting) ?

Because what I feel, it's U5 it's perfect no need to improve something and your TV is bad. So if you want to have this BASIC setting working change your TV. We will not improve nothing in the box.

Really it's what I feel

14 hours ago, ismael said:

I can not change the color space setting it's greyed. It's stucked on YCbCr420.

Not a problem from my TV, because on the others devices I can change this option.

Could you please fix it on next release ?

Colorspace is grayed out when a TV is Dolby vision, also grays out if resolution set only supports certain spaces

Not really a bug is intentionally coded that way by amlogic this way

We could make it so it never greys out but then a person could potentially set a unsupported res/colorspace combo for their tv

Hopefully this answers your issue

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

Colorspace is grayed out when a TV is Dolby vision, also grays out if resolution set only supports certain spaces

Not really a bug is intentionally coded that way by amlogic this way

We could make it so it never greys out but then a person could potentially set a unsupported res/colorspace combo for their tv

Hopefully this answers your issue

thank you for your answer I understand better now.

I have other device with amlogic S905X4 and I can change this option.

Personnaly I watch with YCbCr444 8bit or YCbCr422 12bit, because my TV can support it. Because it's the best option for colors. As technical guy you know why.

So I am really disapointed I can not choose this option.

It's like to have an Ferrari and it's limited to 200km/h because some people could have an accident. 

I'm sorry but you are the only boxes with which I encounter this kind of limitation. I don't find that normal. Why with other boxes that have the same Amlogic chip I can change that but not with your box ?

1 minute ago, ismael said:

thank you for your answer I understand better now.

I have other device with amlogic S905X4 and I can change this option.

Personnaly I watch with YCbCr444 8bit or YCbCr422 12bit, because my TV can support it. Because it's the best option for colors. As technical guy you know why.

So I am really disapointed I can not choose this option.

It's like to have an Ferrari and it's limited to 200km/h because some people could have an accident. 

I'm sorry but you are the only boxes with which I encounter this kind of limitation. I don't find that normal. Why with other boxes that have the same Amlogic chip I can change that but not with your box ?

We don't have the Dolby Vision license. Could be one reason

Or they allow users to change it regardless. Which we want to avoid in case its changed to a non supported setting. And a user would be staring at a black screen.

5 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

We don't have the Dolby Vision license. Could be one reason

Or they allow users to change it regardless. Which we want to avoid in case its changed to a non supported setting. And a user would be staring at a black screen.

Like for example if a user change and unsupported resolution in windows ... I understand your point of view.

But try to understand mine, I am penalized for not being able to choose a complete color range because of the potential ignorance and incompetence of certain users... I don't think it's fair

5 minutes ago, ismael said:

Like for example if a user change and unsupported resolution in windows ... I understand your point of view.

But try to understand mine, I am penalized for not being able to choose a complete color range because of the potential ignorance and incompetence of certain users... I don't think it's fair

How would people be ignorant and incompetent if they accidentally made that settings change? Accidents do happen. 

I'm sorry but that is a very arrogant thing to say. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ismael said:

but in another thread you said 70 year olds aren't technically inclined

now you say screw them because it affects you

pretty selfish if you ask me

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

How would people be ignorant and incompetent if they accidentally made that settings change? Accidents do happen. 

I'm sorry but that is a very arrogant thing to say. 

If you don't know anything about mechanics, are you going to start dismantling your car? obviously not. people who don't know anything won't look at these options. I didn't want to be arrogant. but just to demonstrate that it is unfair to block options, especially image quality options which are visible to the eye. but it is a choice of the company. and I can tell you that just for this blocked option I would not want to buy the P6. because it is a device that will also be intended for video games. and it's really not fair to block image quality like this.

1 minute ago, dishuser said:

but in another thread you said 70 year olds aren't technically inclined

now you say screw them because it affects you

pretty selfish if you ask me

70 years old people will NEVER go in settings and you know this

Just now, ismael said:

If you don't know anything about mechanics, are you going to start dismantling your car? obviously not. people who don't know anything won't look at these options. I didn't want to be arrogant. but just to demonstrate that it is unfair to block options, especially image quality options which are visible to the eye. but it is a choice of the company. and I can tell you that just for this blocked option I would not want to buy the P6. because it is a device that will also be intended for video games. and it's really not fair to block image quality like this.

Ok no problem. If that's how you feel. 

We make decisions like this to prevent returns. If we turned this setting on and our return rates went up because of it. We could risk being removed off of Amazon for example. There are pros and cons with everything. And the cons outweigh the pros in this scenario. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

I have been doing support for Consumer Electronics for 20 years. And this is definitely wrong. 

I am in IT more than 25 years and we have a completely opposite point of view. 

we're not going to convince ourselves, but when all your competitors who are based on the same Amlogic hardware give users the freedom to choose their image quality. Which is completely in contradiction with your philosophy of letting corelec boot on your boxes. you defend freedom of choice and on the other hand you put restrictions on basic options that even completely locked boxes allow the end user to choose. Paradoxical and incomprehensible choice.

1 minute ago, ismael said:

I am in IT more than 25 years and we have a completely opposite point of view. 

we're not going to convince ourselves, but when all your competitors who are based on the same Amlogic hardware give users the freedom to choose their image quality. Which is completely in contradiction with your philosophy of letting corelec boot on your boxes. you defend freedom of choice and on the other hand you put restrictions on basic options that even completely locked boxes allow the end user to choose. Paradoxical and incomprehensible choice.

We reviewed the code on Amlogics SDK.
And this change was actually done by Amlogic on their newest SDKs, which we upgraded to in August 2023
I can post a screenshot of the change if you want from Amogic directly.

And we will update to another updated SDK as well on our next OTA.

The other boxes you reference on 905X4 must be using the older version of the SDK. And they don't have this change.
Amlogic obviously added this change for a reason.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

We reviewed the code on Amlogics SDK.
And this change was actually done by Amlogic on their newest SDKs, which we upgraded to in August 2023
I can post a screenshot of the change if you want from Amogic directly.

And we will update to another updated SDK as well on our next OTA.

The other boxes you reference on 905X4 must be using the older version of the SDK. And they don't have this change.
Amlogic obviously added this change for a reason.

thank you for your constructive response

what would be most interesting is to know why amlogic made this decision and to know if it is possible to modify this, despite the change in the sdk

8 minutes ago, ismael said:

thank you for your constructive response

what would be most interesting is to know why amlogic made this decision and to know if it is possible to modify this, despite the change in the sdk

Well we would have never known about this change as it was done 7 months ago

And you're the first person to notice it. 

And it was done to avoid users switching to an unsupported format. That's what was written in the changelog

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

Well we would have never known about this change as it was done 7 months ago

And you're the first person to notice it. 

And it was done to avoid users switching to an unsupported format. That's what was written in the changelog

if I'm the only person who has seen this in 7 months, you should hire me as a tester for your boxes and maybe listen a little to what I say (without wanting to be arrogant and selfish and narcissistic)... because if I say all these things is to improve the brand and finally have an IPTV box on the market that approaches perfection. and you are not far from it and to dethrone the king Formuler you have to do better than him

• Haha 1