Power supply for U5, 12v and how many amps?

Michael Wright

2 hours ago, Michael Wright said:

Will a 5v 3.0 amp power supply handle the U5 with an internal or external hard drive? 

Actually, it will probably turn on, but it will be quite unstable with strange behaviors.  Many have had strange behaviors with their box, only to realize that in their rush to connect it their new toy, they "assumed" the power supply was the same as other boxes and didn't swap out the 5V power supply (from thier previous box) for the provided 12V. 

12V 1.5A or greater should be easy enough to find.  They were pretty common also on external powered USB hard drives also.  I have a box full from a few from old LaCie and Seagate external drives and they work fine also on my U5 and 4900.

54 minutes ago, dishuser said:

I tried a 5v on my 4900 last week and it stayed on red light...never booted

4900, I have not tried (maybe out of curiosity, I'll try tomorrow).. But U5 I have, and it does boot.  But then again, since it is not designed for it, it may not work on all devices.

41 minutes ago, Emporium said:

4900, I have not tried (maybe out of curiosity, I'll try tomorrow).. But U5 I have, and it does boot.  But then again, since it is not designed for it, it may not work on all devices.

the u5 will react the same as a stick using most tv's usb port for power(my tv's usb powers my stick just fine but that's the only one out of five)

it'll keep rebooting or crash

the 3900 is 3amp no other 5v is for other boxes

for $15-$20 I would just stick with what box/device came with