Suddenly getting username/password error for MAC server not requiring them

Outlaw Pilot

I have three U5's that have been working perfectly. Suddenly yesterday, 2 of them are throwing a bad username/password error when trying to get on to my MAC server. The thing is the server uses the MAC addresses of my devices to authenticate, NOT usernames and passwords. I emailed the provider and they say nothing changed on their end but they reset my account nevertheless. No improvement. Any ideas?

I have seen this if your Mac address used on different device meaning someone got your Mac address now. your server provider needs to lock your device to your device id, your isp, country...etc if they have that option available. 

I have shared your suggestions with my provider (Lemo) and their response was "We can reduce some country's channels because the package is too heavy, You got the whole playlist which is too heavy for your device to handle so we have to reduce it according to your preference."

This doesn't make sense to me as a) I'm sure the U5 can handle a lot of channels, and b) it's been fine until now. 

Nonetheless, I've had them reduce the number of channels by eliminating countries I'd simply never watch, and it seems to work now. But I don't understand.

5 minutes ago, Outlaw Pilot said:

I'm sure. I've also referred to it as a Buzz TV box, a STB, and an Android box, just to try to provide language they'd better understand.

then they are not BS, they are POS 🤣

but hey you have topnotch device with amazing support 🙂

That's good to know. When I purchased the U5 it was on a leap of faith as I didn't know one product from another. I liked the ability to add an SSD and use the device as a DVR but I haven't had a lot of luck getting that to work reliably (as compared to a cable company DVR). But aside from that I can't complain about the U5 for sure!

Keep in mind that to record something different that what you are watching, your service need to allow 2 simultaneous streams, since one stream would be for what you are watching and a separate stream for what you are recording.   Typically most MAC based subscriptions, allow only a single stream (not saying there are not any MAC with multiple, it is just more rare).  Often multiple connection subs will use and XC type sub (portal, username/password).

Also, a provider does need to have stable streams.  If the stream has glitches in it occasionally, the recordings can stop.

Not at home now to check (and don't recall off the top of my head), but on a MAC sub, under the menu->settings->configuration, is there an option for stream type (TS vs MU/HLS) all the way at the bottom ?  If so, try changing that, and see if it makes a difference.

43 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Not at home now to check (and don't recall off the top of my head), but on a MAC sub, under the menu->settings->configuration, is there an option for stream type (TS vs MU/HLS) all the way at the bottom ?  If so, try changing that, and see if it makes a difference.

not an option using mac

• Like 1