Very Unstable

I've had the X5 for a couple months now. Replaced my XRS4500. This box is very unstable. I have had it just shut down and reboot for no reason, then have to resynced the BT-400 remote, the video lags quite a bit and many time the video and audio is out of synch. It's not the HDMI cable, it's not my TV and it's not the HDMI input. I have put it on different TVs with same result. I have 3 fire sticks running on 3 TVs, running the same app and the same shows and the fire sticks are all fine. Instead of replacing it I just keep getting told that it is on my end and not the box. I've sent a picture of my label from the box and they researched everything and said it was a CEC issue with my TV. I don't buy it when this is the only box that does it. Here is a video of the latest issue, the lag and freezing. 

First of all, you say running all the same apps with your firestick ?   Which I assume you are NOT using the integrated BuzzTV 5 app on the X5.  This kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying a BuzzTV box.   In this forum we provide support for the buzzTV box itself and the associated BuzzTV apps.   If you are using a 3rd party app, then you are not going to get any support on 3rd party apps here.

And as nbs requested, what software version are you using on your box ?  If you go into the Updates screen, both Firmware and BuzzTV app version are in there.  Are you connected, wired or wireless ?

Having gotten that out of the way, here are some general comments.   First, CEC can affect things.  CEC is not implemented "Exactly" the same way on all boxes/TVs.  And if it is CEC related, cables can cause issues.  You say it is not the HDMI cable... did you change it with some good quality new cable ?  The requirements of HDMI are different from one device to the other, depending on the features (CEC, Ethernet, etc..).  There is a reason there are so many different HDMI standard (1.4, 2.0, 2.1..)   It would not hurt to go into the settings of the BuzzTV box, and disable everything related to CEC.  There is a menu Settings-> Device Preferences->Display and Sound->HDMI CEC settings, you can disable everything in there.

Also, when you pwer down the X5, are you shutting it down, or does it going into suspend ?  ie: when you power it up, do you always see the boot logo animation ?  If not, then you are going into suspend.  After some time, this can cause issues.  Ideally a complete shutdown should be done.

Edited by Emporium

I just turned all CEC settings off. I was never told to do that before. I'll se if that helps. As for running same apps as my firesticks, they are known for their freezing when too many apps loaded so that's why I purchase the BuzzTV boxes. I stream everything. I do not have cable. So when I say I am running same apps as firestick it's because I loaded the 3rd party apps on the box. I know buzztv doesn't provide support for these. I was just wondering why the firestick would run them without issues but my X5 does not.  The whole purpose of a streaming box is to download apps and stream. There is not a whole lot of instructions with these boxes so I'm just trying to get my X5 figured out. I can still use my XRS4500 without the same issues as the X5 so I assume it has to be the X5. And I am using the HDMI cable that came with the X5. All I'm saying is I can unhook the X5, plug in my XRS4500, start watching same thing I was watching on the X5 and all is good. Maybe I need to just get the X5 all setup properly.

You can't compare apples and oranges.  I stream everything also.  But I use the integrated BuzzTV 5 app on my boxes, with valid paying subs.  Using the integrated apps makes it easier to get support for any issues/glitches, and Buzz is pretty quick in resolving them (since they can typically reproduce them).   Subs are cheap (compared to cable) and all the headaches with 3rd party apps every time something changes in the equation was just too annoying.   I still have a few apps, but they are really a last resort for some very obscure media I may be searching for.

There are many variables in here when you start mixing different OS.  Keep in mind the X5 is running AndroidTV 11, vs Android 9 on the xrs4500 and god only knows what half @ss version of android each firestick is running.  And yes, it is not a typo, it is no only a numeric version change on Android, but also went to AndroidTV vs regular Android.  There is a big difference.  Many older apps, have yet to update their internal API, and can sometimes not work too well with newer boxes.  Some even have custom version built for AndroidTV vs regular Android.   Even my VPN app (Winds#####) has a separate app for regular Android and different one optimized for Android TV.  The regular Android one, works for the most part, but has all sorts of glitches and UI issues)

This is no different than windows.  Why do you think most large companies are still on W10, and not on W11.  Some are barely just started moving to W11, since many mainstream apps they rely on are not ready or tested for W11.   So if app developers don't update their apps as the OS evolves, they will be left behind.

And you say you are using the HDMI cable that came with the X5.  Like any other piece of equipment, there is still a chance that it "may" be defective.  

• And do you SHUTDOWN or STANDBY (do you always see a boot logo upon powering box on) ?
  • What version of firmware are you running ?
  • Are you wired, or wireless ?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, timwadesings@yahoo.com said:

I just turned all CEC settings off. I was never told to do that before. I'll se if that helps. As for running same apps as my firesticks, they are known for their freezing when too many apps loaded so that's why I purchase the BuzzTV boxes. I stream everything. I do not have cable. So when I say I am running same apps as firestick it's because I loaded the 3rd party apps on the box. I know buzztv doesn't provide support for these. I was just wondering why the firestick would run them without issues but my X5 does not.  The whole purpose of a streaming box is to download apps and stream. There is not a whole lot of instructions with these boxes so I'm just trying to get my X5 figured out. I can still use my XRS4500 without the same issues as the X5 so I assume it has to be the X5. And I am using the HDMI cable that came with the X5. All I'm saying is I can unhook the X5, plug in my XRS4500, start watching same thing I was watching on the X5 and all is good. Maybe I need to just get the X5 all setup properly.

agree, the whole purpose of a streaming box is to download apps and stream but if streaming box has dedicated built in app designed for stream then your first choice should be onboard dedicated app.

rest Emporium explained it very well above this post. 🙂

• Like 1

I understand everything you're saying and most of it all makes sense. I was just hoping that maybe someone else was experiencing what I was and figured out a solution for some of it. You talk about the integrated BuzzTV app. No idea what that even is. With my XRS4500 I just loaded Netflix, Hulu (legit and paid subscriptions) and a few other apps and used the box. I have read the operating manual and see nothing that even explains how the BuzzTV app works. Where would I find this?

from home screen click on live tv and it will open up buzztv app for you. now you have three option, Mac, XC api, and m3u. 

if using your iptv provider with Mac address then use Mac option. your Mac should be displayed on top right corner and starts with 00:1A:79...... if using username and password then use XC api. if your provider gave you m3u link then use m3u option. 

Edited by Ryu

1 hour ago, timwadesings@yahoo.com said:

I understand everything you're saying and most of it all makes sense. I was just hoping that maybe someone else was experiencing what I was and figured out a solution for some of it. You talk about the integrated BuzzTV app. No idea what that even is. With my XRS4500 I just loaded Netflix, Hulu (legit and paid subscriptions) and a few other apps and used the box. I have read the operating manual and see nothing that even explains how the BuzzTV app works. Where would I find this?

if you have no iptv service don't worry about it

If it is using an M3U, XC type of subscription, have you tried it with the BuzzTV 5 LiveTV app ?  If it is MAC based, then you will need to get your provider to change the MAC (since you can't change the MAC on current Buzz boxes).

Do you have a portal with a URL and a username and password ?  If so, it is probably an XC type sub.  Go into LiveTV, if you have nothing configured, it should bring up the Servers screen, and you can go over the XC, then select add server, and put in your info.  No need to use some crappy app they provide.

If you want IPTV, don't give up.  There are plenty of services which offer great services.  And as long as you have a stable internet connection (doesn't even need to be anything super fast), you can get a decent iptv experience (especially paired up with the Buzztv LiveTV app).

39 minutes ago, timwadesings@yahoo.com said:

Wow, thank you. I have learned more today than I have since I bought the box. I will check use all of this. I have been just using codes with the downloader app. I am definitely going to try theBuzzTV  live app.

you won't be disappointed using the builtin app

so many features

19 minutes ago, timwadesings@yahoo.com said:

Ok so tonight I/m trying the BuzzTV live app. I turned on my boz, went to live and for about 20 minutes now it just has a black screen saying "Loading channel list". It's doing something because the BuzzTV logo is blinking. How long will this go on?

did you use xc api in server setup?

7 minutes ago, timwadesings@yahoo.com said:

I'm so lost. I am on the server login which shows portal name, portal URL, user name and password. What do I put in it?

That depends on whether it's a mac or xc login

This guide may help

Edited by nbs.
  • Like 1