What Buzz Box is the most powerful or fastest?

Andy

I have an XRS 4000 and cannot record properly, either with the native IPTV player nor with Tivimate playing streams from another IPTV provider.     I suspect the box does not have the CPU power needed.   The stream cuts out briefly approx. every 10 seconds when recording, but is rock solid when just watching and not recording.     My Internet speed is  a solid reliable  25 MBPS.  Thinking about getting a new box, but I can't tell which Buzz box has the fastest processor......  Anyone have that information?  Thanks so much.

The latest buzz with the latest processor is the new X5.

It comes with a new Amlogic S905X4 Quad-core 64bit Cortex-A55 processor, and 4GB of RAM.

However when you say you have issues with recording, you realize that when you record you are streaming 2 streams (even if you are watching the same).  So it all depends on the channel quality and bitrate that your channel is being transmitted.   Some services offer low bitrate channels  or lower resolution explicitly to help.  When you say you have 25MBPS are you sure it is MBPS or Mbps.. Big difference.  if it is 25Mbps, it is truly borderline for 2 high quality streams.

Also, the drive you are using to record to, are you sure there are no issues with it ?  Very often people use cheap USB sticks which are barely able to keep up with the write speeds required for high bitrate streams.   

You'll love the X5, but before you assume the problem is with your box, I would verify to make sure it is not your available bandwidth or your external storage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nbs. said:

you have a 4000 but this is the 4900 forum?

you dont say if you are on buzz 4 or 5 andd what version you have

My question has nothing to do with the 4000.   I am asking about all boxes.   There is no "general" forum here for asking a question like mine, so i just picked this one as its a popular one.

8 minutes ago, Emporium said:

The latest buzz with the latest processor is the new X5.

It comes with a new Amlogic S905X4 Quad-core 64bit Cortex-A55 processor, and 4GB of RAM.

However when you say you have issues with recording, you realize that when you record you are streaming 2 streams (even if you are watching the same).  So it all depends on the channel quality and bitrate that your channel is being transmitted.   Some services offer low bitrate channels  or lower resolution explicitly to help.  When you say you have 25MBPS are you sure it is MBPS or Mbps.. Big difference.  if it is 25Mbps, it is truly borderline for 2 high quality streams.

Also, the drive you are using to record to, are you sure there are no issues with it ?  Very often people use cheap USB sticks which are barely able to keep up with the write speeds required for high bitrate streams.   

You'll love the X5, but before you assume the problem is with your box, I would verify to make sure it is not your available bandwidth or your external storage.

Aaahh...that explains a LOT...I did not know that recording uses 2 streams even when not changing the channel to watch something else.   I firmly believe that a whole bunch of people don't know that and are running into the same issues as I am.

I suspect the internet speed now.   It doesn't matter if I record to a USB stick or the internal memory.   I just  tested my speed, its  20 Mbps....not MBPS....Normally I get 25.

Thanks so much !!  

What's  the difference between MBPS and Mbps ? 

OK, the developer of Tivimate told me that in order to record, I need 2 servers....My IPTV provider told me I need 2 playlists, not servers,  and need to purchase a 2-connection plan.  But their website only seems to allow a choice of up to 4 "devices"  per subscription.   I wish there was more standardization of terminology in this industry.   Waiting to hear back from them.

Edited by Andy

2 hours ago, dishuser said:

I have no problem doing 3 recordings with that speed

Not saying it can't be done.  It all depends on the streams.  I have seen streams that are sub 5Mbps, but I have also seen some streams that peak at 12Mbps (and I'm sure there are some that are higher if they have high bitrate, 4k streams).     Really depends on the server/stream.

Whenever someone says they have issues with multiple streams, I always suggest to try with some of the low bitrate streams (which many servers offer - at least with some channels).

@AndyIf you do a lot of recording, then the 4900 might be interesting since it does have a compartment on the underside where you can internally connect a SATA storage drive (I recommend an SSD [less heat and a lot quicker when searching) - but you can use a regular 2.5" HDD if you prefer) .  But the X5 is the latest box with "for now" the most powerful CPU of all the buzz boxes.  And in my experience, it has the best WiFi reception compared to any other box I have tested (buzz or otherwise).

Awesome, thanks.  I now have a 2nd stream coming in.  Have not tested recording just yet.  Luckily the server is not far from me geographically, which may not mean much but it's comforting.                     My XRS 4000 works fine normally, I just wondered if the "lower-end" CPU could be contributing to the recording problems since it has to handle 2 streams at once.  If/when I buy a new box, an audio output jack is essential for me.

6 hours ago, nbs. said:

There is a pvr file that you can load if your are on buzz 5

Hmmm....do you know if it will allow you to pause live IPTV, then fast-forward back to current real-time?  I like to hit pause when a commercial comes on,  go off and do something, then come back and fast-forward through the commercials back to the program.

Happy to report my recording problems are gone with the 2 streams.  One issue that is a pain is that I have to switch over to the other stream  while recording if I want to watch something else with out freezing or hiccups, or even if I want to watch what I'm recording.

Thanks for your guidance.  I guess the new box is off the radar now.

• 1 month later...

At this point I would stay away from Buzz TV. Why? Because, they are not providing new updates to any of their boxes. It appears only selected people are receiving updates as they are providing their mac address on the web unsecurely to buzz staff on this forum.  BUZZ TV needs an overhaul to their process to ensure all theur customers or users are receiving all firmware/software updates.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BUZZ_GUY said:

At this point I would stay away from Buzz TV. Why? Because, they are not providing new updates to any of their boxes. It appears only selected people are receiving updates as they are providing their mac address on the web unsecurely to buzz staff on this forum.  BUZZ TV needs an overhaul to their process to ensure all theur customers or users are receiving all firmware/software updates.

only speak of what you know

you can email support to get updates but guess what

they need a mac addy to send it to

21 minutes ago, BUZZ_GUY said:

selective? lol I was not selected but just like many people I volunteered to get beta for my E2 and 4900 🙂

not sure why you worried about Mac so much. your Mac is your iptv providers responsibility and it has nothing to do with buzz. its like your tv provider (lets assume you have three boxes) has your Mac/serial address and when you call them and ask them that you have problem with one of your box and they ask you which box. dont you provide hem Mac/serial number? dont you think they have all your info? they won't touch all or random until or unless you tell them which one has an issue because they dont play around. just like that buzz dont play around. 

hope you understand if not then I can show you a list of Mac and you will find all of your Mac 🤭

1 minute ago, BUZZ_GUY said:

Well Ryu,

Blanca here, knows that they should be pushing out updates to connected boxes. However, beta updates should be available on their website for download. Use at your discretion.

well, whatever they feel its good for public and ready to go they have it available for anybody to download.  see it your self 🙂

https://stbtalk.com/index.php?/files/

Just now, BUZZ_GUY said:

Well Ryu,

Blanca here, knows that they should be pushing out updates to connected boxes. However, beta updates should be available on their website for download. Use at your discretion.

Most people have NO clue how to install an update manually.  Hence, it is as simple as sending a PM with your MAC to go onto the list of boxes which will receive the beta updates.   Not asking you to post your MAC publicly.

If you are worried about someone getting your MAC and using it on your provider, then I suggest you get a service which uses XC API instead and not tied to your MAC.   MAC connection/servers are leaked by the 1000s every day.  It's not by giving it to someone at Buzz, that you will get your box/service hacked.

You don't want beta updates, it's simple.  Stick with latest public release, until the new software is deemed ready for everyone.

Truth is, I have many Buzz boxes.  And most are on beta.  But my main 4900 (which the wife uses also) is still on latest public release, since she is not tech savvy and has no tolerance for regular updates and possible new glitches every so often.  And that is fine.  The latest public release is very useable.  May have a few glitches, but you get used to them and typically there are simple workarounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BUZZ_GUY said:

Mr Ryu,

The update that you lead me too is from January 2022. However, I worked for several technology  fortune 500 companies and there is no way that a public release takes almost 1 year to release from beta. I have tested beta software and a public release goes public within a few weeks to a month. If a fix is needed its fixed an released on the fly Mr. Ryu. So, BUZZ TV is slackig on their public releases and only focusing on their betas.

so where you work a 7 month calendar is a year?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this question is ok here....Recording is very important to me.....I'm looking at the XRS4900 and the X5.....really like the look of the XRS4900 and not sure I like the remote of the X5.....but recording and functionality are key....what box does everyone here think is better?

4 hours ago, Drumcrazd said:

Hopefully this question is ok here....Recording is very important to me.....I'm looking at the XRS4900 and the X5.....really like the look of the XRS4900 and not sure I like the remote of the X5.....but recording and functionality are key....what box does everyone here think is better?

they both do the exact same. pick according to your budget 🙂