Timeshift error

Mark M

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

So when it’s removed will there be an option to make sure that it’s the USB or SD card that is being used for the timeshift.

Also, I’m hoping that if the option is removed that the pause, rewind and fast-forwarding will still work as that is the reason I purchased this box?

5 hours ago, bigivy said:

Hi,

So when it’s removed will there be an option to make sure that it’s the USB or SD card that is being used for the timeshift.

Also, I’m hoping that if the option is removed that the pause, rewind and fast-forwarding will still work as that is the reason I purchased this box?

who said it was being removed?

26 minutes ago, dishuser said:

who said it was being removed?

Does this look familiar?

allaboutbuzz

On 6/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, Mark M said:

I didn't say you did...I was asking. Timeshift is on, and storage location is internal shared storage, which has 115GB free space

Using Internal Storage for timeshift is a bug on Android actually

It requires a lot of space to use it.  We will be removing it as an option in a future update

If you want to use Timeshift its best to use a USB or SD Card.

•  

Pretty sure the "We will be removing it as an option" was referring to the option of using internal storage.    If you want to use TS you will eventually need some sort of external storage.  This was not referring to the option of TS entirely.

Using Internal storage is also unnecessary wear and tear on the internal storage.  External storage can easily be replaced if it eventually fails, internal you don't want to use for this kind of activity.

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Pretty sure the "We will be removing it as an option" was referring to the option of using internal storage.    If you want to use TS you will eventually need some sort of external storage.  This was not referring to the option of TS entirely.

Using Internal storage is also unnecessary wear and tear on the internal storage.  External storage can easily be replaced if it eventually fails, internal you don't want to use for this kind of activity.

That's exactly what it was referring to, as clearly evidenced by the pasted quote from June in my post above you.

9 minutes ago, Mark M said:

That's exactly what it was referring to, as clearly evidenced by the pasted quote from June in my post above you.

read what I quoted

they posted that they hope sd card will still be an option

no one said that option will be removed

2 hours ago, dishuser said:

read what I quoted

they posted that they hope sd card will still be an option

no one said that option will be removed

No he/she didn't. They said "...option to make sure that it’s the USB or SD card that is being used". They wrote nothing about the SD card being removed as an option.

Edited by Mark M
clarification

8 hours ago, bigivy said:

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

No he/she didn't. They said "...option to make sure that it’s the USB or SD card that is being used". They wrote nothing about the SD card being removed as an option.

is that right?lol

allaboutbuzz never said that won't be an option is my point so why ask

Edited by dishuser

43 minutes ago, dishuser said:

is that right?lol

allaboutbuzz never said that won't be an option is my point so why ask

We have decided to leave Internal. memory for TS for now

As we fixed a bug with it not allowing it to be used/saying not enough storage available. And optimized it more when using it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allaboutbuzz said:

We have decided to leave Internal. memory for TS for now

As we fixed a bug with it not allowing it to be used/saying not enough storage available. And optimized it more when using it. 

I have to thank you here as I've used my allotment for the day...lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emporium said:

Yes definitely not removing it entirely

Sorry for the confusion 

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for the replies.  As a footnote to this subject. I plugged my external USB into my computer and used  the"treesize" program to see what was using up the space and was quite surprised to find that it had around 8 GB of a cache from the time shift and I don't think that I had used it that much pausing etc as I've only had the Buzz box a few days,  so I can see why it's recommended to use an external USB for the time shift

30 minutes ago, dishuser said:

you can set cache size

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I knew about setting the cache limit, I have mine set for 10 gb, I was just surprised how large the cache was considering I've not used the time shift feature that much,well I didn't think I had,lol.

So what happens when the cache size reaches the 10 gb limit and is there a way to empty the cache, apart from hooking the USB to the computer and clearing the cache that way?

2 hours ago, bigivy said:

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I knew about setting the cache limit, I have mine set for 10 gb, I was just surprised how large the cache was considering I've not used the time shift feature that much,well I didn't think I had,lol.

So what happens when the cache size reaches the 10 gb limit and is there a way to empty the cache, apart from hooking the USB to the computer and clearing the cache that way?

Use this as a rule of thumb for cache size

1GB of Cache is equal to about 30-60 Mins of Live TV for TimeShift, depending on channel quality

So 10GB would be 5-10 Hours

And yes it overwrites itself once the cache fills up.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, allaboutbuzz said:

Use this as a rule of thumb for cache size

1GB of Cache is equal to about 30-60 Mins of Live TV for TimeShift, depending on channel quality

So 10GB would be 5-10 Hours

And yes it overwrites itself once the cache fills up.

Ah I see, good to know. 
Thank you for the info 👍👌🙂

• Like 1

• 11 months later...