Scheduled Recording

gheagy

I set a scheduled recording last evening.

I have HDMI CEC on

My BuzzTV unit was powered off before the recording.

When the recording started my TV came on.  When the recording finished, nothing powererd off, my Buzz TV unit and TV remained on.

How do I make everything power off when the recording is finished?

• Like 1

I purchased my BuzzTV X5 in 2023.  I quit using it because of scheduled recording issues.

I've just checked my recording from last evening.  The recording was set for 3 hours but only recorded about 2 hours.

you can do a few things. change settings to auto shut off the buzztv app after few hours (1-10) or change your screen saver and energy saver options to your desire options. or if you have CEC enabled then setup a timer on your tv so once tv will go off will turn off your box as well. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gheagy said:

I purchased my BuzzTV X5 in 2023.  I quit using it because of scheduled recording issues.

I've just checked my recording from last evening.  The recording was set for 3 hours but only recorded about 2 hours.

maybe stream got interrupted

I agree with "maybe the stream got interrupted".  I think I'm using a good IPTV provider and my Internet connection is reliable.  It's unfortunate that recordings wouldn't continue again based on the time.

12 minutes ago, gheagy said:

I agree with "maybe the stream got interrupted".  I think I'm using a good IPTV provider and my Internet connection is reliable.  It's unfortunate that recordings wouldn't continue again based on the time.

Unfortunately that's not possible 

1 hour ago, gheagy said:

If the BuzzTV box wakes up to record, it should return to sleep after recording.  

box wakes up because you told your device to wake up for recoding at certain time. now change settings to tell box to go off  X amount of time after finish recoding. 

while watching live tv, press menu, settings, configuration, Auto shut off app.

or

from Home Screen go to settings, device preferences, now here adjust screen saver and energy saver settings

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gheagy said:

Have the power off options changed?

Previously, the options were, Standby, Reboot, and Power Off.  I can't find these options now.

open up buzztv smart remote app from Home Screen, HDMI CEC & Power Key Settings, go to power key definition, and all threes options are there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gheagy said:

I noticed this in Settings:  Set how long a channel buffers without playing.

Please explain this.  Is "1 second" the best setting?

Thanks

This all depends on your service and your ISP quality also.

I have mine set to 6 seconds..  But keep in mind, it does not "buffer without playing".  Keep in mind when you connect to a stream, you are not ALWAYS at the tip.  So when you connect it tries to buffer the stream ahead, so if there is a "glitch" in the stream (either service related, wifi related or even ISP related) you would not notice if the glitch is for fewer than "x" seconds.  It would simply continue playing the buffered streamed.   

The fact that you are not always at the tip can easily be noticed if you have 2 boxes streaming the same channel.  You can often notice a few seconds difference.

If you have SUPER internet and great provider, keep it low.  On WiFi, I recommend at least leaving it on 3 (which I think is the default).  In other situations, you can increase it.

2 minutes ago, gheagy said:

The Power Defintion Key shows options of Suspend, Shutdown, and Restart.  "Standby" is not shown.

I don't recall ever seeing "Standby".  It has always been Suspend, Shutdown and Restart on Buzz devices.  Suspend is pretty much Standby.  

2 hours ago, gheagy said:

I assume that "Suspend" is the setting I should use.

I always use shutdown.  That way every time I turn it on, it is a clean boot, with no glitches from previous sessions or drivers lingering and potentially causing performance issues.  Sure it take an extra minute to boot, but I'd rather take an extra minute than having things acting up and not knowing if it was due to some stuff lingering from previous sessions or actually something with my ISP or service .

2 hours ago, Maestro701 said:

Also, isn't there a maximum of 4GB that can be recorded on certain storage types? 

Yes, if you format media using FAT32, you are limited to 4GB per file.  So any movie downloads (from VOD) you do, will be truncated to 4GB.  Any any really long recording may fail also if they surpass the 4GB mark.   IF possible, you should connect any media (USB key or HDD) to a PC and format it in exFAT format.

I don't remember what Android 11 boxes do nowadays, but I know with older Android 9 (and previous) boxes would default to formatting all media to FAT32.  This was not a Buzz choice, it was an Android default.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gheagy said:

Is the BuzzTV X5 default Fat32?  Can it be changed?

Like I said, On Android 11 boxes (which includes the X5), I don't recall if it is FAT32.  You'd have to check.  But if it is, NO there is no way to change that, since that is part of the Android OS, not a Buzz customization.  Simple enough test, put a USB key into your box, format it as portable storage, then remove it, and plug USB key into a PC and check what filesystem type it has ( on Windows just open My Computer, an right click on the USB drive to see the properties).

But this will only affect people who are are going to be downloading large VODs locally (like some 4k ones), or doing really long recordings.  The majority of people will not be affected during normal use.

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 2

Concerning using shutdown when powering off my unit, when I power on it attempts to load the channels list from my server using M3U, which doesn't work.  I have to go to the server settings and choose xtreme codes.  It's annoying having the complication.