XRS4500/ XRS4500 MAX backup transfer ?

Posted (edited)

Quick question.

If I do a backup on a XRS4500 can I transfer that backup to a XRS4500 MAX?

The reason I am asking is because I have a XRS4500 setup just the way I want everything and I purchased a XRS4500 MAX and I would like to transfer everything to my new XRS4500 MAX from my XRS4500 to it.

Edited by sea157

• sea157 changed the title to XRS4500/ XRS4500 MAX backup transfer ?

Ok guys what am I doing wrong?

I did a backup of my XRS 4500 and it is on my usb drive.

I put the USB drive into my XRS 4500 MAX,but when I try to restore it onto my XRS 4500 MAX when I hit the restore button it takes me to a screen that says:

Backup and Restore

Available restore files

But it doesn't show me any files.

Do I just let it on this page and it will just  restore my Backup?

Seems to me it should give me an option as to what files I want to restore and where they are located.

What am I doing WRONG!

The Android 9 boxes for some people do NOT automatically copy it to the USB drive.  On your USB stick if you put it on  PC, do you see a ZIP file on it ?  If not, you need to use a file manager app (Solid explorer, total commander, es file explorer, etc..) to copy the file from your 4500 internal storage to the USB stick first

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Emporium said:

The Android 9 boxes for some people do NOT automatically copy it to the USB drive.  On your USB stick if you put it on  PC, do you see a ZIP file on it ?  If not, you need to use a file manager app (Solid explorer, total commander, es file explorer, etc..) to copy the file from your 4500 internal storage to the USB stick first

Emporium,

I just did a backup on the XRS4500 and when I hit restore it show up as being able to restore.

On that same USB drive the XRS4500 MAX is also on it, but that backup is not shown when I try to restore it on the XRS4500

This seems to be telling me I CAN NOT USE the backup of the XRS4500 MAX on the XRS4500 like dishuser thought I could do.

Am I correct in assuming you can only use a backup on identical Buzz boxes?  (Example XRS4500 to another XRS4500 and XRS4500 MAX to another XRS4500 MAX)

Edited by sea157

22 minutes ago, sea157 said:

Emporium,

I just did a backup on the XRS4500 and when I hit restore it show up as being able to restore.

On that same USB drive the XRS4500 MAX is also on it, but that backup is not shown when I try to restore it on the XRS4500

This seems to be telling me I CAN NOT USE the backup of the XRS4500 MAX on the XRS4500 like dishuser thought I could do.

Am I correct in assuming you can only use a backup on identical Buzz boxes?  (Example XRS4500 to another XRS4500 and XRS4500 MAX to another XRS4500 MAX)

it's not what I thought it could...lol

it actually works and is interchangeable with the buzztv 5 software

did you use a file manager?

cause I just used my 4900 backup on my x5 and had no problems

2 minutes ago, dishuser said:

also on your 4500 did you do a factory reset and see if restore worked or not?

Yes, but you want to make sure you have a proper backup on USB key before doing a factory reset 🙂

But YES, it CAN be used from one device to another as long as they are on BuzzTV 5.  I do it all the time.  I create server profiles on one one box and then back them up and move them to another all the time.

But like I said earlier, you NEED to make sure that when you do a backup on your 4500, you move the backup ZIP file to your USB key.  By default I believe it goes to internal storage.  And then on your 4500 MAX, if it doesn't see it, you MAY need to copy the ZIP file back to it's internal storage (don't think you need to, but you can try) and then make sure you have selected to look at the correct location.

If you check your USB key, you should have a ZIP file (named something like: buzztv-backup....YEARxxYY_99999.zip ), and inside that ZIP file is typically just a single file called "backup.yaml".  Do you have the ZIP file on the USB key ?

1 hour ago, Emporium said:

Yes, but you want to make sure you have a proper backup on USB key before doing a factory reset 🙂

But YES, it CAN be used from one device to another as long as they are on BuzzTV 5.  I do it all the time.  I create server profiles on one one box and then back them up and move them to another all the time.

But like I said earlier, you NEED to make sure that when you do a backup on your 4500, you move the backup ZIP file to your USB key.  By default I believe it goes to internal storage.  And then on your 4500 MAX, if it doesn't see it, you MAY need to copy the ZIP file back to it's internal storage (don't think you need to, but you can try) and then make sure you have selected to look at the correct location.

If you check your USB key, you should have a ZIP file (named something like: buzztv-backup....YEARxxYY_99999.zip ), and inside that ZIP file is typically just a single file called "backup.yaml".  Do you have the ZIP file on the USB key ?

Yes both of the backup files are on the USB (both XRS4500 and the XRS4500 Max backup files)but when I try to restore the XRS4500 files to the XRS4500 MAX the XRS4500 MAX is not showing the XRS4500 files, it only shows the XRS4500 MAX backup files available to restore.

Tomorrow I will move the XRS4500 files to the internal storage on the XRS4500 MAX and see if it can restore them from the internal storage.

Well guys I found out why my XRS4500 back up would not show as a back up to be used in my XRS4500 MAX.

When I looked at it in file manager it showed the backup folders was there, but when I looked at how many megabytes were in the folder it showed 0 (zero) so for some reason it created the backup folder but it DID NOT put any backup information in the folder.

MORAL of the story once you make a backup and before you do a reset of the box check to make sure your backup information is actually in the backup folder!!

42 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Did you finally get it working ?

No since I didn't have any information in the folders before I did my reset I lost all of that. I just have to reload everything and renter all my favorite channels.

I will try to make another back of the XRS4500 and make sure the information is in the folders this time then see if the XRS4500 Max recognizes the backup of the XRS4500 then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Don't' forget you can use a web browser from PC or phone to enter your server info if you have a lot of servers.  Make life a little easier when you have a few servers to create.

I not sure how to do that, I will need to do some research on how to do that. lol

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sea157 said:

I not sure how to do that, I will need to do some research on how to do that. lol

make sure your box and pc/phone are connected to same network then go to server settings on your box. looks at the IP address on top right corner. enter that IP address with port on your browser then fill up server info and you can add like that as many servers you want to. 

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 2

Like Ryu said.  Super simple.

If your PC (or phone) is on same Network, just open a browser and type the address listed on top of the server screen.  

example: 

http://192.168.1.139:8090

The use the form you see in front of you to enter the info, and then "save".

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ryu said:

make sure your box and pc/phone are connected to same network then go to server settings on your box. looks at the IP address on top right corner. enter that IP address with port on your browser then fill up server info and you can add like that as many servers you want to. 

Wow Ryu that was easy!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sea157 said:

Wow Ryu that was easy!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best features Buzz added.  Makes it so much easier when setting up a box.

Future improvement would be nice if they show you the current servers and allow you to select one and edit it.  It can be done manually if you know the index and alter the URL manually, but would be nice if they had a small UI for it.  But that is just a "nice to have" 🙂

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Emporium said:

One of the best features Buzz added.  Makes it so much easier when setting up a box.

Future improvement would be nice if they show you the current servers and allow you to select one and edit it.  It can be done manually if you know the index and alter the URL manually, but would be nice if they had a small UI for it.  But that is just a "nice to have" 🙂

agree would love to have edit existing servers 🙂

• Like 2

Though I would pass on what I’ve learned about backups on the BuzzTV 5, and the 4500’s with Android 9 (I had both a 4500 and 4500 MAX).

The backup in settings / configuration in BuzzTV 5 backs up your servers, setting and favourites in a zip format which can be transferred to another box.

On the 4500’s under Buzz utilities there is a full system (box) backup and restore feature, and it is unique to the box itself and can’t be used to restore another box.

It can only back up to SD or thumb drive (not internal storage), and if your backup file showed 0 bytes then it’s likely 4 gig or larger, so you need to format as X-fat or NTSF. If you put the card in a PC and run check and repair errors the true file size will populate, but it will still be unusable for restore. Hope that helps. It would be great if Buzz would bring this feature back one day.