Incorrect Location

Raymond

My location is incorrect on my Buzzbox. I have tried to fix it and have had no success. I am hard wired to my internet. Any ideas on how to fix that? I checked in the settings menu and cannot seem to change it. Thank you.

Raymond 

58 minutes ago, Raymond said:

My location is incorrect on my Buzzbox. I have tried to fix it and have had no success. I am hard wired to my internet. Any ideas on how to fix that? I checked in the settings menu and cannot seem to change it. Thank you.

Raymond 

it detects the city your isp is using

Many ISP will buy or lease IP segments from various other owners as they run out of IPs.  However the geolocation DBs can take a while to update.  I have one buddy of mine who also buys an iptv service from me, and a few months ago, I noticed that when I check my panel, that he was connected from some IP that the panel claimed was in Cleveland, and Cogent as his ISP (and I know he is from one from the Montreal suburbs).  I thought, that was odd, but figured he was either on vacation, or using some VPN.   When it continued for a while, I texted him to ask (just to make sure his account was not compromised), but he was not on vacation and not using VPN on any of his boxes, but it was him connected from home.   Quick check on various geolocation DBs, shows that some DB had the IP listed as belonging to his ISP, and others had it listed with Cogent.   But as the weeks went by, more and more of the geolocation DBs source now say that the IP belongs to his ISP (and at least in canada in the general vicinity).   So I guess the IPs transferred owner (or leased) but took a while to propagate.   

My panel still shows him in Cleveland, but I assume the panel is using some static copy of the DB, so not doing any sort of dynamic query.  So unless the panel updates the DB (I have advised them), it will continue to be incorrectly reported.

If you just care for the location shown on the home screen (ie: weather), I don't know what city you are in, but you can even use a free "windscribe" vpn account, and assuming you are in some large city which they have a free server in, you can connect to the VPN server, let the box detect the location, and then I believe you have the option to "lock" the location in the new buzztv5.  Once locked, you can disable the VPN if you want.  There is also protonvpn which offers a free vpn client>  Both Free option have a limited number of servers available to "free" users.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Many ISP will buy or lease IP segments from various other owners as they run out of IPs.  However the geolocation DBs can take a while to update.  I have one buddy of mine who also buys an iptv service from me, and a few months ago, I noticed that when I check my panel, that he was connected from some IP that the panel claimed was in Cleveland, and Cogent as his ISP (and I know he is from one from the Montreal suburbs).  I thought, that was odd, but figured he was either on vacation, or using some VPN.   When it continued for a while, I texted him to ask (just to make sure his account was not compromised), but he was not on vacation and not using VPN on any of his boxes, but it was him connected from home.   Quick check on various geolocation DBs, shows that some DB had the IP listed as belonging to his ISP, and others had it listed with Cogent.   But as the weeks went by, more and more of the geolocation DBs source now say that the IP belongs to his ISP (and at least in canada in the general vicinity).   So I guess the IPs transferred owner (or leased) but took a while to propagate.   

My panel still shows him in Cleveland, but I assume the panel is using some static copy of the DB, so not doing any sort of dynamic query.  So unless the panel updates the DB (I have advised them), it will continue to be incorrectly reported.

If you just care for the location shown on the home screen (ie: weather), I don't know what city you are in, but you can even use a free "windscribe" vpn account, and assuming you are in some large city which they have a free server in, you can connect to the VPN server, let the box detect the location, and then I believe you have the option to "lock" the location in the new buzztv5.  Once locked, you can disable the VPN if you want.  There is also protonvpn which offers a free vpn client>  Both Free option have a limited number of servers available to "free" users.

Thank you. I was thinking that was the case. 

15 minutes ago, dishuser said:

if I reboot my modem/router my location changes from markham to montreal or vice versa

I'm not near either city

Considering I'm in Montreal, I guess I don't see any real issues (since my ISP is based here also).  

Guess if you have a VPN server in that geolocates to your city, you can connect, lock the "weather location" in the settings, and then disconnect VPN if you want.  The lock feature when it was added, was pretty handy for those who use VPN.

Maybe in buzztv6 we'll be able to just "choose"/override our location, instead allowing it only to auto detect (like you can do on most android phones).  Or even like the  MSN weather app on a PC..

44 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Considering I'm in Montreal, I guess I don't see any real issues (since my ISP is based here also).  

Guess if you have a VPN server in that geolocates to your city, you can connect, lock the "weather location" in the settings, and then disconnect VPN if you want.  The lock feature when it was added, was pretty handy for those who use VPN.

Maybe in buzztv6 we'll be able to just "choose"/override our location, instead allowing it only to auto detect (like you can do on most android phones).  Or even like the  MSN weather app on a PC..

that feature is only available on the 5 series

• Like 1