What is the Pinout for the 3.5 millimetre AV output jack on the back of the XRS4500?

My dad has a XRS4500 and wants to temporarily connect it to another TV temporarily in his basement.  The TV downstairs has Composite video and audio input jacks, so he would like to find a 3.5MM cable to RCA and would like to know what are the pinouts so we can use the most appropriate cable connector.

I don't have the order, but I'm using on of those adapters on my E2, connected to an old TV.   However even if you don't get the pinout order,  it doesn't really matter too much.  I used one I had lying around from some other device, I "think" my old WDTV Live, and all I did was plug it in, and then connect a cable to the composite video of the TV, and then cycle through the 3 connectors and see which one produced video 🙂  It's not like you will be unplugging and plugging it back on a regular basis (and even if you did, after doing it once, you could label the output cables).  I could tell you that it is NOT mapped in the same order as the WDTV Live, since I am pretty sure I used the white audio connecter for Video.  And obviously the other 2 were audio (just using one since the TV only has 1 audio input.  No biggie.

2 minutes ago, dishuser said:

you could also try a composite to hdmi adapter

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Something like this is not too expensive and you can plug the HDMI from the Buzz box to it, and it will output the composite to the TV.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09MKL1BLB

And in this case (amazon canada), it is fulfilled by amazon, so if it doesn't work, it can easily be returned.

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 1

I am not going to buy a hdmi to composite converter from  Amazon - the worlds biggest bookstore, my dad is a senior citizen after all, he does NOT want to complicate things,  I know where to get  the cable, i can get it at the dollor store or what not, just want to get THE RIGHT CABLE,  its a simple question, if someone asks "what are the pin outs"  the answer should be left, ground, right, video, etc.  or what ever they are.,   no one in their right mind should answer such question to "go to the dollor store " or "get adaptor off amazon, the worlds biggest book store"   sometimes its better to simply answer the question, and if  you can't? its okay to say "i dont know"

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

I am not going to buy a hdmi to composite converter from  Amazon - the worlds biggest bookstore, my dad is a senior citizen after all, he does NOT want to complicate things,  I know where to get  the cable, i can get it at the dollor store or what not, just want to get THE RIGHT CABLE,  its a simple question, if someone asks "what are the pin outs"  the answer should be left, ground, right, video, etc.  or what ever they are.,   no one in their right mind should answer such question to "go to the dollor store " or "get adaptor off amazon, the worlds biggest book store"   sometimes its better to simply answer the question, and if  you can't? its okay to say "i dont know"

you should appricate help they are offering you for free. 😐

I do appreciate the advice. I already intended to buy one from the dolor store blindly without knowing the pinouts and take my chances, or buy one from amazon which is the worlds biggest bookstore online by the way before i posted. I am not looking for advice anymore, just pinouts.

OK.. I just pulled the cable from my TV and buzzed it out (no pun intended) 🙂   Obviously took into consideration WHICH colors I was using for Video   

Most importantly, I found the portion closest to the base of the jack is Ground (connected to the outside of each RCA connection), then followed by Video.  Then the 2 tips, I can't comment which is left/right, but that is for sure no biggie.

image.png.3426dbaf0da7bced1995bbf253bb3867.png

The WDTV is GRLV (from base of connector towards tip).   When cable connected to my Buzz, the Red is my Video cable, so Buzz is either GVRL or GVLR (Base to tip).  Either way, at least you know where the ground is, which is the most important (something I overlooked on my first comment of this thread).

Hope this helps you make the correct decision.   Not sure dollar store cables even list the pinout unless it is some good quality overstock they are liquidating 🙂

Just be carefull that the 3.5mm connector is not too long.  I have one which the base (ground) is quite a bit longer than the usual (don't even recall where I got it).  So it makes it VERY tricky to use.  IT works, but you can't insert it all the way.. Need to insert and then pull it a mm or 2.  If you get it off a little you get audio humm...  The WDTV cable was perfect (except for the order of the VRL connectors, but that was simple swap.

Edited by Emporium

yes, i could care less if the video and right audio or left audio jacks do not correspond to the plug colours, meh, as long as it works, but if the ground contact is in another place then yeah that would suck, i wish the people on ebay and kajiji would know this when selling something

• 4 weeks later...

So its either LRVG or RLVG?  thanks I will check to see if we have a 3.5mm cable lying somewhere with those specs so I can hook this up to the TV in my dads basement temporarily.

I am surprised Buzz does not even sell a cable as an optional accessory.  this will open the door for people buying a cable with the wrong spec, since there are 16 possible combinations of different pinouts,   so that leaves a 1 in 16 chance of getting the right cable when you buy one from amazon, not good ods in my humble opinion