BUZZ TV XRS 4900 TOO HOT

semsem

Hello Just got XRS 4900 model today and notice it gets really hot 

I mean super hot

I do Have a formular GTV box , and used other android boxes in the past 

The thing is sometimes it lag when scrolling or pressing the remote, and when i touch the box it is really hot

also when turn back on from standby , it said system error, sometimes need reboot

do you think i got a faulty box?

9 hours ago, dishuser said:

take it out and see if it still runs hot

seems better without the drive, but if Buzztv made a box for $199 to be able to add a secondary drive  but you can not use it since it makes the device unstable. they should think about improving.

Thank you

3 hours ago, semsem said:

seems better without the drive, but if Buzztv made a box for $199 to be able to add a secondary drive  but you can not use it since it makes the device unstable. they should think about improving.

Thank you

and that's why I asked

cause last year the first drive I tried did the same thing

second one I tried worked fine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nbs. said:

Before you start criticizing Buzz you need to rule out other issues

Yours is the first 4900 I have heard with this issue on multiple forums

What is your make and model of drive?

my drive is  sata seagate 120 GB 5400 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dishuser said:

and that's why I asked

cause last year the first drive I tried did the same thing

second one I tried worked fine

Maybe time for better drive and see

Any recommendation?

Edited by semsem

The specific drive being used makes all the difference.   many of the older drives generate quite a bit of heat.  Even SSD.   Initially when I got my 4900 I had installed and old intel 120GB SSD I had lying around, and it would get quite hot.   Then I eventually replaced the drive with a Micron 240GB enterprise grade SSD and the unit now get's just barely warm to the touch.  The controllers used on many of the older SSD would generate quite a bit of heat.

I'm sure many of the older mechanical SSD would get incredibly hot also.  The newer drives often use better bearings with a little less friction and therefore less heat.  Even on desktop drives, I had tried some regular drives in a synology NAS server and the drive temps would hover around 41C to 42C on average.  When I replaced the drives (with Constellation ES.3 enterprise drives) in the same unit with the same settings, the drives would hover around 31C to 32C on average.  The type of bearings used in mechanical drives is very important to heat generation.

One hint also, if I remember correctly, the 4900 used to come with a small thin rubber pad to put on the HDD to fill in the gap between the HDD and the door to avoid it from rattling/moving.  Don't intall that on the whole face of the drive.   Just need a small slice (about 1cm wide), and you can install it just on the opposite end of the sata connectors.  That is sufficient to keep the drive from moving around, and also leaves a small gap to allow a little airflow.  I know it is not much, but every little bit counts.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...