U5 suggestions

ismael

- it should be a menu with alternative DNS choice (see attached picture), because many problems with ISP DNS (I know we can change settings in router, but I will be more easy to have this option on the box)

- it should be an option in the box to disable IPV6

Screenshot_20240301_094631_Gallery.jpg

These boxes run AndroidTV, not generic Android.  They are different, and honestly, I would not want anyone to play with any network settings in any box menu. 

Even on phones and tablets that have those options, it is typically for public WiFi use to avoid being forced to use what they force upon you.   These boxes are typically used in your own home, where you have control over that. Those who have no clue how to do it in their router should not touch it on their boxes either.   If your router is configured to use your ISP DNS (you should never use that), then that person is obviously not a tech savvy person and should not be touching these settings.   and if you do want to, nothing stops you from using a static IP and setting whatever DNS you want.    Or thee are piles of 3rd party apps that allow you to do it quickly.

Above and beyond using something other than your ISP DNS, most decent routers will allow you to create groups of machines with different DNS for each group.  Even before I switched to my pfsense solution, I used to use an ASUS router and had 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 set as default DNS for all devices.  And even had a few groups for stuff like children's devices which would use OpenDNS where I had piles of category and URL filtering setup.

Also, those concerned about ISP control, will typically use a VPN connection which should typically use it's own DNS anyhow to avoid any leaks.

3 hours ago, Emporium said:

These boxes run AndroidTV, not generic Android.  They are different, and honestly, I would not want anyone to play with any network settings in any box menu. 

Even on phones and tablets that have those options, it is typically for public WiFi use to avoid being forced to use what they force upon you.   These boxes are typically used in your own home, where you have control over that. Those who have no clue how to do it in their router should not touch it on their boxes either.   If your router is configured to use your ISP DNS (you should never use that), then that person is obviously not a tech savvy person and should not be touching these settings.   and if you do want to, nothing stops you from using a static IP and setting whatever DNS you want.    Or thee are piles of 3rd party apps that allow you to do it quickly.

Above and beyond using something other than your ISP DNS, most decent routers will allow you to create groups of machines with different DNS for each group.  Even before I switched to my pfsense solution, I used to use an ASUS router and had 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 set as default DNS for all devices.  And even had a few groups for stuff like children's devices which would use OpenDNS where I had piles of category and URL filtering setup.

Also, those concerned about ISP control, will typically use a VPN connection which should typically use it's own DNS anyhow to avoid any leaks.

I understand your point of view. But you know today there's 3 brands of good boxes on the market, Buzztv, brand A an brand F. 

Like I said before, I hope Buzztv to become the number one in the market, but fot this sometimes it's necessary to look what others offers as good option and offer also the same option.

But in my point of view one on/off button to enable/disable ipv6 is a must on the settings and also the option to easily change the dns to cloudflare, quad9, google

For example if I go to see my gf or a friend with my box I don't want to mess with they router. And these two options can be a game changer between the stream works or not.

P.S. Pfsense is really good solution, I used it for years on Pcengines hardware, and before Pfsense I used m0n0wall