BuzzTV x5 bluetooth keeps stuttering

Toejam

I have removed all paired devices except the remote and bluetooth speakers.  The only thing I do with this box is watch videos in Kodi - not streamed, they're all downloaded.  So, Kodi is the only app that I've loaded and run, the box still keeps skipping audio.  I have an Amazon Alexa Echo Dot in the same room, it does not exhibit audio skipping.  I've paired multiple bluetooth speakers to the buzztv, they all have audio skipping.

When the buzztv starts up it shows a window that says "IO Exception".  I don't know if this has any bearing on my bluetooth issue.

If this device truly has bluetooth 5.0 installed, I should see great signal performance in my 20' room, that does not appear to be the case.

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated.

I inadvertently originally posted this query in the buzztv 5 app forum.  After getting spanked I copied my post here.
One suggestion I already tried was to use another video player app and see if the audio still stutters.  I ran VLC and still have the stuttering audio on several bluetooth speakers.

Can you please post the firmware version you are presently running on your box.   If you go to the settings, Update option, you should see the firmware version typical V202XXXXXXX

When you say they are all downloaded, are the downloaded to the internal storage of the box ?  Onto USB external drive or usb stick ?  Or onto a NAS ?

Also, have you ever tried any live streaming, using the BuzzTV 5 app to see if the problem is also present when you use the native IPTV app ?

22 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Can you please post the firmware version you are presently running on your box.   If you go to the settings, Update option, you should see the firmware version typical V202XXXXXXX

When you say they are all downloaded, are the downloaded to the internal storage of the box ?  Onto USB external drive or usb stick ?  Or onto a NAS ?

Also, have you ever tried any live streaming, using the BuzzTV 5 app to see if the problem is also present when you use the native IPTV app ?

Firmware: V20230815

Video files are downloaded onto a synology NAS.  My BuzzTV is hardwired onto my 1 gb ethernet network.  I have two other amazon fire TV boxes that use wifi and do not have any stuttering audio issues.  All streaming boxes pull from the same synology NAS.
I don't do live streaming, we are rural and are lucky to get internet, much less any highspeed internet.  My download speed typically runs 10 mbps.  Because of the bandwidth issues, it is far easier to download then watch off my internal network.

Just as a small test, can you "try" to stream something off the integrated youtube app.  Doesn't have to be anything high def.

I just tried my X5, and I even unpaired all my speakers and connected my Plantronics PLT Focus headset only, and just used VLC to stream "The Batman" of my Synology RS2418+ and for over 10 minutes, it was solid.

If you play a video and use the TV speakers (HDMI source), is the Audio smooth, or is it also stutter ?

I do not have KODI installed on my buzz boxes and honestly retired KODI ages ago from all my boxes. No clue what other codecs it may be installing which may be conflicting with AndroidTV.  I typically use VLC, Plex or DS Video when streaming from any of my Synology NAS servers.

Are you by any chance right next to your WiFi router ?  the 2.4Ghz band can cause interference on any BT.  So if you are too close, or in an area with some 2.4Ghz congestion it may have an adverse affect.

Did you ever try the BT, before loading up all your apps like KODI ?   I know it sounds drastic, but if nothing else helps, I would probably do a pin/factory reset and start from scratch.  And before starting to install anything else, I would use VLC (which is preinstalled) to test streaming from the NAS, or even just youtube to see if any streaming can be smooth over BT.   

Forgot to ask, HOW far are these speakers ?  Don't expect those theoretical crazy ranges in BT whitepapers..  Those are in open air (maybe even vacuum( with ZERO obstacles.  Realistic, don't expect solid stream for any distance more than 20' to 25'  after 20' it will be prone to occasional drops.  On my laptop I have a high end USB plantronics USB Bluetooth dongle, on a USB extension, running up the back of my monitor mount to be high up above the back of my monitors (so I can walk around when in meetings without loss of signal).  If I get 15' away and start waking up the stairs it starts to get choppy already.

Emporium: thank you for all the great ideas.  I may have hit on a possible source for my bt audio issue - a sound bar hooked to the tv.  The soundbar sits in front of the tv, the buzztv sits beside the tv, about .5 feet away from the soundbar.  I nudged the soundbar down about 3" and the audio stuttering dissipated.  I swapped the buzztv box to the other side of the tv and as far away as the hdmi cable would reach, which got it about 2' away from the soundbar: the audio quality dramatically improved.  There was a little audio stuttering later on, but, it was in, then out and did not come back.

The soundbar seems to be the source of my audio issues - at least I'm hoping that cures my bt audio issue.

You raise a good issue that I've been considering lately - is Kodi necessary to play my video content?  I started with Kodi back at least a decade ago and it met all my needs for playing video.  I like one app that can traverse through all the folders on my synology video nas and play practically any video format.  I've not really ventured out to review other video players (Plex, VLC, etc.) because I did not have to, Kodi has served me well all these years.  Perhaps there is another video player that will work just as well that I should be using.  I have tried VLC several times, it seems to be solid, perhaps I'll switch things over to VLC.

We are in a rural area, so our internet download speeds are atrociously slow compared to speeds seen in more suburban and urban areas.  We are a captive customer to the only source of internet, so they have no incentive to improve their systems.  With T-Mobile and Verizon pushing their Home 5G Internet offerings, we are starting to see options that can get us 100 mbps speeds for only $60 per month.  Until those services get in our area, we're stuck with low speed internet - ~ 10 mbps, which drives me to not wanting to stream - it results in constant buffering.  Kodi makes a decent streaming offering, but, I don't need the streaming, so perhaps I just need a good video player.  I will have to start experimenting with what's out there in the video player arena.

The BT speakers are located about 20' away from the tv, not much distance and clear line-of-sight with no obstacles.

I spoke too soon.  The stuttering came back.  It seems go to in waves: works fine for a while, then builds up stuttering.  I can re-pair and get better performance, but, would like to eliminate the bluetooth stuttering totally.

Can I assume the external antenna's are for wifi and have nothing to do with bluetooth performance?

Edited by Toejam

On 2/4/2024 at 7:22 PM, dishuser said:

what make and model are the speakers?

I apologize, thought I had submitted my reply earlier.  I have the following bluetooth speakers:

Altec Lansing Lifejacket Jolt

Ion Plunge

JBL Go 2

Amazon Echo Dot gen 2

All of them had stuttering issues, which leads me to believe the issue is not with the speakers.

My latest attempt was to get a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable that would allow me to move the buzztv about a foot further from the TV and sound bar.  I also raised the buzztv about 6" higher - it now sits about 5' above the ground.  The performance last night was great with the Ion Plunge and Altec Lansing bluetooth speakers.  I don't know if this is due to the increased distance from the tv and soundbar, or the improved hdmi cable.

• Like 3

Just a quick follow-up from my prior post.  The bt audio quality seems to be dependent on the distance from the tv and soundbar: one of those items appears to be causing interference with the buzztv bluetooth signal.  I dropped the buzztv down ~ 6" and started to get a little bit of audio stuttering.  Put it back up 6" and the bt signal improved.

So far, this seems to be a workable path to eliminating the bt audio stuttering.  The trend seems to be I find a new position that works, a few days later some audio stuttering starts creeping into the system.

• Like 1

Hence why I always prefer everything to be wired, instead of wireless, except for stuff like remotes, phones and tablets..  

Even ethernet, I spend quite a while when I bought my home (over 25yrs ago) to run 2x CAT 5 (best reasonably available at the time) from the utility room to ever room in the house.  Best thing I ever did and no need to rely on wifi.   And most accessories go through HDMI, optical, or even just basic RCA cable for the older stuff.

Don't forget that anything wireless (including BT), can be adversely affected if you have them too close to the wall (or enclosed in a cabinet), due to reflections.  And the 2.4Ghz space is very congested with many devices using that range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 12:10 PM, Toejam said:

I apologize, thought I had submitted my reply earlier.  I have the following bluetooth speakers:

Altec Lansing Lifejacket Jolt

Ion Plunge

JBL Go 2

Amazon Echo Dot gen 2

All of them had stuttering issues, which leads me to believe the issue is not with the speakers.

My latest attempt was to get a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable that would allow me to move the buzztv about a foot further from the TV and sound bar.  I also raised the buzztv about 6" higher - it now sits about 5' above the ground.  The performance last night was great with the Ion Plunge and Altec Lansing bluetooth speakers.  I don't know if this is due to the increased distance from the tv and soundbar, or the improved hdmi cable.

Please keep in mind

The Wifi antennas on the X5, also act as signal for BT
Some people also don't have them screwed on when using Ethernet, and wonder why their remote doesn't function properly.

So you can try adjusting those for better signal, or you can always try and upgrade the antennas to something bigger to increase the DB gain for signal.
As the antennas are standard wifi screw on/off, so any standard antenna will fit.

• Like 3