Recording with the X5 Frustration

Drumcrazd

My problem with recording with my X5 box is the fact that I can't turn my TV off after starting a recording. As soon as I do it cancels the recording. Doesn't matter if I turn the TV off with the TV remote or manually by hand. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to get around this?......thanks

5 hours ago, Drumcrazd said:

My problem with recording with my X5 box is the fact that I can't turn my TV off after starting a recording. As soon as I do it cancels the recording. Doesn't matter if I turn the TV off with the TV remote or manually by hand. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to get around this?......thanks

When you turn your TV off does the box also shut off without you turning the box off with the remote?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 10:47 AM, Drumcrazd said:

I am running into the same problem. This is when you want to record the current program that you are watching. You press the red button to record then confirm and save the recording settings. You will get some message can helps s that the recording stream starts, etc. After a couple of minutes you press the Home key. Soon after a message will appear that the recording has finished which is not what you want to happen.  The expectation is that it will continue to record even if you turn off the tv and STB (power off configured to suspend).

Note that a scheduled future recording works as expected

I hope others can help. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, nbs. said:

Is your box set to suspend or power off?

He did say "power off configured to suspend"

I would not go back to home screen (if you press "home" more than once, it closes background apps, so not sure what it does with background recordings).  If you are planning to put it in suspend, then may as well leave it in the LiveTV app and hit suspend.

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dishuser said:

are you exiting before going to home page?

Not sure what you mean.

I press the record (red) button, wait until messages confirm recording has started appear, and then press the Home key. Soon after this a message appears to say the recording is finished.

Can you post what version of Firmware and Software you are running ?  Just to make sure you are running the latest versions, and you are not for some odd reason stuck at an older version.

Software version you can easily find if you press the menu button when watching LiveTV, and it is at the bottom V5.0.xxx.   Firmware you can find in the Updates screen V202xXXYY

1 minute ago, Emporium said:

Can you post what version of Firmware and Software you are running ?  Just to make sure you are running the latest versions, and you are not for some odd reason stuck at an older version.

Software version you can easily find if you press the menu button when watching LiveTV, and it is at the bottom V5.0.xxx.   Firmware you can find in the Updates screen V202xXXYY

App / software version is 5.0.919 

Firmware version v20230815

5 minutes ago, Emporium said:

both software and firmware versions can be found in updates

27 minutes ago, dishuser said:

both software and firmware versions can be found in updates

Typically (and in most cases) yes..  Unfortunately, not always on the main updates page.  Which is why I typically say to check the bottom of the menu.

Example on my X5 AX-C.. The release notes of the last firmware update, take up most of the area (I like to see release notes), you'd have to go and then scroll down (and I honestly didn't check if it says it further down - I assume it does)..

buzzx5updscreen.jpg

15 hours ago, Dougie said:

I am running into the same problem. This is when you want to record the current program that you are watching. You press the red button to record then confirm and save the recording settings. You will get some message can helps s that the recording stream starts, etc. After a couple of minutes you press the Home key. Soon after a message will appear that the recording has finished which is not what you want to happen.  The expectation is that it will continue to record even if you turn off the tv and STB (power off configured to suspend).

Note that a scheduled future recording works as expected

I hope others can help. Thanks.

I figured out a work around for those experienceing the same problem as me when trying to record a program in progress.

While watching the program, click on the Menu button and select PVR function.

Click on Scheduled Recordings

Select Create Manual Recording

Scroll down to Channel name and choose the channel to record. Notice the current program will automatically populate into the Program name field

Adjust the Start time one or two minutes forward (i.e. past the current time).

Adjust the end time to when the program ends.

Click on Save.

Click on Home key

Power off STB and TV.

I hope this helps.