XRS 4500 recording problem: recording fails (0 minutes) if scheduled more than an hour in the future

cary grant

Hello,

I'm able to record programs in the immediate future (up to approximately 2 hours), but when I schedule something further in the future, the recording turns out to be "0 minutes" long.  In my tests, I manually schedule a recording (setting channel, start time and end time), and then turn the TV off (leaving the 4500 on).  I then confirm the recording is listed in the "scheduled recordings" of the PVR menu.  All my tests are using the same channel#, without EPG.  I thought this may be related to the 4500 going into "suspend" mode so I made a point of leaving the 4500 on (after turning off the TV), and checking that the "auto shutoff app" in App Settings is set to "never".

Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix this?  Should I not be able to schedule a recording and then "suspend" the 4500 (using green button on remote), and have it automatically  "wake up" to record at the scheduled time?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Since you are turning TV off and leaving box on, I am assuming you have ALL HDMI CEC settings disabled ?

Would be nice to post the firmware and software version you are running.  Software you can easily find from LiveTV if you press the menu button, it hould be listed at the bottom left (5.0.xxx).  Firmware you can tell from the home screen if you go to settings/updates.  Should be something like V2022..... or V2023...

Have you tried using the EPG to record something further out ?

Thanks for jumping in.  Software is version 5.0.906 (Oct 19, 2023), firmware is V20220106.

For HDMI CEC, "CEC Switch" and "Auto power off" are set to off.  "one key play" and "auto change language" are set to on (as I can't seem to select them using the cursor buttons on the remote).

When I say "leaving buzztv on", I mean on the LiveTV menu page, or on a particular channel.

As  HDMI CEC "auto power off" was set to on, I will now try again with it set to off.  Will also try an EPG recording.

• Like 1

Thanks for jumping in.  Software is version 5.0.906 (Oct 19, 2023), firmware is V20220106.

For HDMI CEC, "CEC Switch" and "Auto power off" are set to off.  "one key play" and "auto change language" are set to on (as I can't seem to select them using the cursor buttons on the remote).

When I say "leaving buzztv on", I mean on the LiveTV menu page, or on a particular channel.

As  HDMI CEC "auto power off" was set to on, I will now try again with it set to off.  Will also try an EPG recording.

So, after ensuring "auto power off" was set to off, the recording started on time but stopped after 30 minutes.  Have tried a couple times with the same result (ends after 30 minutes despite being set to record for 2 hours).   Available space on the device was 48 of 64GB before starting.

How big was the recording ?   Keep in mind that if you formatted your media on the box, or even possibly on a PC, by default it will format using FAT32.   

I strongly recommend formatting the USB key on a PC, and forcing the format to exFAT format.   FAT32 has a single file size limitation of 4GB.  Anything larger will get truncated.  exFAT limitations are a lot higher, and obviously preferred.  Don't think that is the case here, since 4GB for 30 minutes would be a really HUGE bitrate, but just saying.

Also, just as a test, try starting the recording at a 15 minutes mark (not 00 or 30).  Reason I ask is because I used to have a service (don't recall which one) who for some bizarre reason the streams would change every 30 minutes (on the half hour 00 and 30), which means the recordings would never be more than 30 minutes. 

I assume what you tested was a manually scheduled recording ?   Did you try with EPG ?  Just curious.

21 minutes ago, Emporium said:

How big was the recording ?   Keep in mind that if you formatted your media on the box, or even possibly on a PC, by default it will format using FAT32.   

I strongly recommend formatting the USB key on a PC, and forcing the format to exFAT format.   FAT32 has a single file size limitation of 4GB.  Anything larger will get truncated.  exFAT limitations are a lot higher, and obviously preferred.  Don't think that is the case here, since 4GB for 30 minutes would be a really HUGE bitrate, but just saying.

Also, just as a test, try starting the recording at a 15 minutes mark (not 00 or 30).  Reason I ask is because I used to have a service (don't recall which one) who for some bizarre reason the streams would change every 30 minutes (on the half hour 00 and 30), which means the recordings would never be more than 30 minutes. 

I assume what you tested was a manually scheduled recording ?   Did you try with EPG ?  Just curious.

they're recording internally

the box comes with 64gb of storage and they have 48gb available

• 3 weeks later...