Buzz X5 Recording Issues

cyrowth

6 hours ago, cyrowth said:

My stream format is also set to Automatic.  Is there any downside to normal live TV viewing to switch this to TS or M3U8/HLS ??

In the past, I was always using TS, and did not have many issues with recordings.  Can't say I do many recordings (at least not long ones) since I switched to HLS.  Only reason I switched to HLS was that at least one of my services, requires HLS for the Catchup feature to work properly.  So "if" there is any downside, one would be the catchup feature on some servers only works with HLS.

When you start playing the recording, does it show a full 2 hours that you can fast forward through to near the end ?  Previous 2 attempts you reported showed only a small percentage of expected duration recording using automatic.  Most all my recording using automatic show full duration on the PVR show icon but change to mach less duration when actually playing them.  I will record several more shows tonight with TS stream format and let you know how it goes.  

I recorded another 2 hour program last night successfully with TS stream type setting.  For me, that's 100% success rate for 4 two hour programs using TS (1 was scheduled then system shutdown) and about an 80% failure to record the full program duration for over 50+ recordings with automatic setting (which dishuser found is HLS).  So, for me (xStream code IPTV service using both Express and SurfShark VPN), it seems like setting stream type to TS resolves this chronic issue.  Maybe different experience for users with different setups.  Not sure why BuzzTV 5 app is not always playing nicely with HLS stream type feeds.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:48 PM, cyrowth said:

I changed my stream format from Automatic to TS as suggested by dishuser and scheduled a 2 hour recording.  It recorded the full 2 hours -- the 1st time in awhile.  I will try additional recordings with the TS stream format, but hopefully this setup will continue to record successfully.  I don't know how to check what format was selected with the Automatic setting, but this may turn out to be a contributor to the issue.  Both my IPTV services are Xtream Code services.  

Do you have 2+ connections on your XC accounts?

If no, did you record while watching or just scheduled something to record and let it record while not home or when box was off?

Only asking as we have 2 methods for recording. Not really seen by the end user. But its basically Foreground (what You're watching now) and Background recording (Box off, using another app or multi connection account) 

Yes, we do have 2 connections on both of my XC  accounts.  Mostly, we have been using "Background Recording" --some of each method you listed (Box off, using another app or multi connection account).  As I described earlier in the thread, the partial recording occurred 90% of the time on both XC accounts.  TiviMate on my Buzz X5 recording of the same program was almost always successfull.  Since switching the stream type to TS per recommendations on this blog, we have had 100% successful recording of the entire shows (again using background recording).  Other changes tried earlier like clearing the Buzz TV cache and switching to the backup player had no affect on the partial recording issue.  

If you need any additional info or want me to try a differnt procedure, just let me know.  For now, the problem seems totally resolved with the TS stream type.

• Like 4

Guys,  quick question about recording very long sports events.  The past 2 days I have recorded 7 hours of the Solheim Cup golf tournament in Spain.  It began at 4 am my time, so we recorded all 7 hours.  Thinking it might work like a cable DVR, when we got up 2 hours into the recording, we went to PVR and began watching the beginning segment of the recording.  After almost 2 hours, the viewing suddenly stopped and we got kicked out to the Buzz home screen.  It may be a coincidence, but the timing of this "kickout" was nearly how far into the recording  we began watching the already ready recorded portion.  Similar thing happened 2 days in a row.

So, my question is: did starting to watch the begining of a recording while the recording was still running interrupt the recording process for the remainder of the recording time ?? 

16 minutes ago, sea157 said:

Is this the case even if you have 2 or more connections on your server?

Has nothing to do with # of connections, since they were not starting another connection.  They were starting to play/stream a file that was STILL being written to by the PVR process.  As soon as the video player opened the file for playback, it stopped the recording process.

If you plan to start watching streams while they are being recorded, then you are better off with a service that offers "Catch-up" on the channel you want.  That way instead of playing back the recording, you could have played back the actual stream (that was in progress - assuming you have more than one connection available), and then use the catchup function to start from the beginning.

• Like 2