U5 keeps turning itself off, along with Remote Control issues...

Michael Wright

I have had my U5 for a few weeks, finally got it running stable after many hours of tinkering. Everything has been good for roughly say 10 days, then the other day, I am sitting here watching and the U5 simply turns itself off. The light goes from blue to red. Then the BT remote is only working sporadically, also very annoying. It has fresh Energizer batteries in it, remote says the batteries are at 88%. Then when the U5 turns off, I have to unplug and plug it back in to fire it back up. The remote no longer works to turn it on, but will turn the TV off and on. The U5 box has plenty of airflow, nothing stacked on it, nothing hot next to it, it sits by itself on a shelf behind the TV, and the TV is a good foot away from the U5, as it is on a swivel mount and turned out and away. I have other BT controlled devices even deeper behind the TV, and they all work fine. Anyone having issues like this? 

I would strongly recommend to disable any CEC options in the box and the TV.  I have seen  TVs which claim to have CEC support and the implementation is crap.

Another possible issue is a bad HDMI cable.  Since CEC goes over the HDMI cable, a defective cable (which can happen) could cause all sort of sporadic chaos including random power on/off if CEC is enabled.

For the server entries and all the setup, you will be glad to know that the latest beta firmware has a full backup/restore option which allows you to backup your servers, favorites, etc...  And then easily restore them  It actually works well.  So it is a feature which will be deployed to everyone as soon as it is felt that it is ready for public deployment.

• Like 4

I did the hard reset, would not except my wifi... I plugged in the ethernet and everything started to work off of the safe start. Then, I attempted to install my external hard drive, that is a no go. I turn off the U5, plug in the Samsung Evo external drive, turn on the U5, and it goes into a loop of showing the U5 logo and losing signal. I reset the hard drive to its factory state, thinking that may have been the issue, no change, just that loop and losing signal. Unplug the HD and everything now works... I guess I need to start another thread... 

Edited by Michael Wright

UPDATE: I figured it out... And it was MY fault. I mixed a 5v power supply up with the 12v power supply. Most issues solved. Remote still has a life of its own when scrolling through the cheeseburger menu, it simply takes off and scrolls nonstop. And I just upgraded the new BuzzTV firmware. Getting periodic freezing now... Going to go make some more adjustments. Screen resolution went to 1080p and the auto switch to best resolution was turned on. I turned it off and set the screen resolution to 1080i. Will see if that works. That is how I fixed 99% of my freezing issues prior to this update. Will see how this goes and report back for those interested. 

• Like 1

when remote batteries get weak, the remote can take off sometimes.  And if you have backlight enabled, it can be touch and go it there is just enough power to operate remote, but not the backlight.   Try turning off backlight if you have it on, and use a fresh set of batteries.

I was going to mention the 12V vs 5V power supply, but figured, I've mentioned it so many times in other U5 threads that people should already be aware of it.   Luckily it was a 5V inserted into a box expecting 12V, and not the other way around.  If you had plugged the 12V into the 5V, the other box would not be too happy 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Wright said:

UPDATE: I figured it out... And it was MY fault. I mixed a 5v power supply up with the 12v power supply. Most issues solved. Remote still has a life of its own when scrolling through the cheeseburger menu, it simply takes off and scrolls nonstop. And I just upgraded the new BuzzTV firmware. Getting periodic freezing now... Going to go make some more adjustments. Screen resolution went to 1080p and the auto switch to best resolution was turned on. I turned it off and set the screen resolution to 1080i. Will see if that works. That is how I fixed 99% of my freezing issues prior to this update. Will see how this goes and report back for those interested. 

You can try factory resetting the remote

Hold down the 0 + Down button on the remote for 5 seconds. It will blink to confirm its been reset. 

It will work as an IR remote after doing this. You can re pair the remote from the Buzz Smart Remote App

I think it might have just been a bad connection between the remote and the box. 

• Like 1

Well, reset the remote, still need to be right up on the box to get it to work. Reset the remote, but discovered the second row access buttons no longer work on the home page for Buzz OTA or Buzz Remote.  I click on them, the screen fades and goes right back to home page. Screen freezing every half hour now too... Very annoying. 

I reset the U5, took a few times, switched TV providers, now everything appears to be working and stable. I believe much had to do with the TV provider, and issues with the U5. But, hopefully we are through this and everything is working, and will continue to work. Technology... Main issue was the provider, they went dark on me, on one server, but I had a full program guide, then the M3U server we had programming, but no guide... They are gone, new provider appears to be working quite well. 

• Like 1

After 3 days of fighting with this U5 (I have two other U5's as well) I finally got the U5 to turn off by double checking all CEC connections and insuring they are off on the Samsung TV and on the U5 as well. I then turned on the CEC virual and the U5 now turns off when I turn off the TV with the BT-400. Thank you for all the help!

Now I still have issues with this same box turning itself back on ramdomly during the night (each night it only turns on once. I shut it off and all is well until the next night.) I have shut off CEC on both the Samsung TV and the U5, I have changed HDMI cables. I have restarted the U5 and I changed the power supply but no luck. The power button is set to shut off. Today I found another setting on the Samsung "Auto Protection" that was set to two hours. Apparently it acts like a screen saver and does the following:

"If a still image is shown on the screen for longer than the time you selected, the TV will automatically activate Screen Burn Protection to prevent burned-in after-images that may damage the screen."

I have set this to off and I will see tonight if that fixes the issue. I do not have this issue with my other 2 U5's connected to an LG OLED TV and an old Panasonice Plasma TV.