U5 set top box shutting off

Harold

Posted (edited)

I have the U5 set top box. I'm currently trying to sign into Google Play store, but half through putting in my password, the box will shut off and the remote will not turn back on. I was able to connect it to my wifi, no problems, but now this snag. It's like when I try to move to a different page, it shuts off, that's the only way I can describe it. My box, as of now, is still, and I have not been navigating on it. Now it's started beeping every so often. Help, it's driving me bonkers.  Is there a fix and how can I fix it? Appreciate the help. 

Edited by Harold
More information added.

8 hours ago, dishuser said:

are you using the power supply that came with it?

Bonehead move on my part. I was not using the power supply that came with it, was using power supply for old box. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harold said:

Bonehead move on my part. I was not using the power supply that came with it, was using power supply for old box. Thanks for the tip.

You are lucky it was in that direction.  DO NOT use the U5 power supply on the older boxes (except the xrs4900).

The U5 and XRS4900 use a 12V power supply (due to the internal HDD), most (if not all) of the other Buzz boxes use a 5V power supply.  Do it in the other direction and it may be a "smokey" experience.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emporium said:

You are lucky it was in that direction.  DO NOT use the U5 power supply on the older boxes (except the xrs4900).

The U5 and XRS4900 use a 12V power supply (due to the internal HDD), most (if not all) of the other Buzz boxes use a 5V power supply.  Do it in the other direction and it may be a "smokey" experience.

due to internal hdd?

every device has that

6 minutes ago, dishuser said:

due to internal hdd?

every device has that

When I said internal HDD, I meant the SATA connector.   The xrs4900 and U5 use a 12V instead of the 5V, probably due to the SATA HDD connector which has a 12V line (I know it is not used by most newer drives, but it is still part of the SATA connector spec).  

Agreed, forgot about that one, since I never had one 🙂  But the 3900 also used a 5v,3A power adapter instead of the usual 5V,2A on other boxes.  So "technically"if they needed 12V for the sata connector (assuming it was actually wired for 12V), they have a little more current to allow some up-converting to get the 12V.  But obviously I did not design the boxes, nor open them up to investigate how it was done.  I am just "assuming".

Bottom line is, make sure you are using the power adapter that came with your specific box, or at least something of the same voltage, and at least the same amount of "A".

• Like 2