XR4500R not recognizing my USB drive when trying to restore.

so i did a backup earlier today using a Patriot 32 GB USB drive...formatted it on the box, and proceeded with the backup.once it was completed did a HARD Reset of my box. everything booted back up normally and did the normal set-up when you first get a new box. the issue is when i go to RESTORE from the USB drive....my box doesn't recognize the USB drive...no matter what USB port i plug into..any reason why it 's not reading the USB drive?....

When you say it is not recognizing your USB, have you checked under storage to see if it is there ?  Or are you assuming it is not recognizing it because it does not see the backup ?

Have you checked the USB key on a PC to see if there is a ZIP file on the key ?  ZIP file would have a name similar to this "buzztv-backup-20240223_205621.zip" except the numbers would be different to represent the DATE and time you did the backup.

On Android 9 devices (like the XR4500), it is quite possible that the backup was NOT done to the USB stick, but rather to your internal storage.  It has been mentioned many times, on many threads here and on other forums, that you will need to copy the backup file over to the USB manually on Android 9 devices.  But, if you already reset your device, that file is now gone.

If the drive does have the zip file on it, then you can just enabled network shares on the xr4500, and then use a PC top copy the ZIP file over to the xr4500 via a network share.  But that assumes the zip file is actually on the USB key.  If I recall the zip file contains just a .yaml file in it which contains all the backup info.  No zip file, no backup unfortunately.

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 6:57 PM, Emporium said:

When you say it is not recognizing your USB, have you checked under storage to see if it is there ?  Or are you assuming it is not recognizing it because it does not see the backup ?

Have you checked the USB key on a PC to see if there is a ZIP file on the key ?  ZIP file would have a name similar to this "buzztv-backup-20240223_205621.zip" except the numbers would be different to represent the DATE and time you did the backup.

On Android 9 devices (like the XR4500), it is quite possible that the backup was NOT done to the USB stick, but rather to your internal storage.  It has been mentioned many times, on many threads here and on other forums, that you will need to copy the backup file over to the USB manually on Android 9 devices.  But, if you already reset your device, that file is now gone.

If the drive does have the zip file on it, then you can just enabled network shares on the xr4500, and then use a PC top copy the ZIP file over to the xr4500 via a network share.  But that assumes the zip file is actually on the USB key.  If I recall the zip file contains just a .yaml file in it which contains all the backup info.  No zip file, no backup unfortunately.

SOOO... apparently it's not as simple as backing up then restoring with these boxes.....SMH....well guess mY files from my backup are gone cuz not even my PC will recognize the USB drive now....lesson learned.

9 hours ago, Raidersam67 said:

SOOO... apparently it's not as simple as backing up then restoring with these boxes.....SMH....well guess mY files from my backup are gone cuz not even my PC will recognize the USB drive now....lesson learned.

If your PC does not recognize the USB stick, then odds are that you formatted it as "internal storage" which is NOT recommended, since the stick marries to the box and cannot be used with anything else.  And actually once you reset the box, the stick cannot be read again.   

Format the stick on a PC.  And it doesn't need to be anything large.  I use old 128MB sticks for these backups since the files are only a few kB large.