When watching a channel while recording it, the channel will freeze

jellytotz

Not sure if this is a BuzzTV 5 issue or an issue specific to our box (X5). But if we set up to record a channel, and when the recording starts and while watching the channel, the channel will (a) freeze or (b) go black, but recording continues. As a work-around, we will end the recording early (by editing the recording end-time) and set up another recording to immediately start, but this issue will repeat ~3 times for a 2 hour recording. We are using TS mode. Any idea what is happening, or how to fix this?

"Auto" is the default setting right? On "auto" we had a different issue, that the recording would stop recording much earlier than expected. Like, it would only record an hour of a 2 hour program. I searched this forum and someone had a similar issue and set it to TS. So we did that change to TS, and so the recordings aren't ending early anymore, but now we have a new issue that I described above.

Does you IPTV service allow for more than one connection ?  

I have verified on one of my services, with my panel, and even if I record the same channel I am watching, it does use a second connection.   So if your provider only allows for a single stream, it would explain why it goes black.

41 minutes ago, Emporium said:

Does you IPTV service allow for more than one connection ?  

I have verified on one of my services, with my panel, and even if I record the same channel I am watching, it does use a second connection.   So if your provider only allows for a single stream, it would explain why it goes black.

RE: "Does you IPTV service allow for more than one connection ?" - I don't know. And I don't know how to find that out.

RE: "I have verified on one of my services, with my panel" - I don't know what this means. What is "the panel", and how do I access it?

RE: "So if your provider only allows for a single stream, it would explain why it goes black." - To be clear, it goes black (or freezes) about an hour into the recording (and not at the start).

1 minute ago, jellytotz said:

RE: "Does you IPTV service allow for more than one connection ?" - I don't know. And I don't know how to find that out.

RE: "I have verified on one of my services, with my panel" - I don't know what this means. What is "the panel", and how do I access it?

RE: "So if your provider only allows for a single stream, it would explain why it goes black." - To be clear, it goes black (or freezes) about an hour into the recording (and not at the start).

live tv/menu/settings/account info

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dishuser said:

live tv/menu/settings/account info

Account Info doesn't show the number of streams.

Also, I may have misunderstood your prior recommendations to "use auto". What I thought you meant (and what I did) was in live tv/menu/settings/configuration, under "Real Time Streaming" I thought that was the same as "TS" so I set that to "on" (from "off"). Did you mean something else?

Are you using a MAC based subscription ?  If so, odds are that your sub is for single connection/stream at a time (that is why you don't see the number of connections.

Multiconnection subs typically use XC type connections.

BTW: For the panel reference, that is not something you would be able to access.  It is a reseller's web site where you can create new subscriptions.  And in some panels you can see the connections that each client is using at any one time.  And since I have my own panel for the service I use, I can check the number streams I am using.

1 minute ago, Emporium said:

Are you using a MAC based subscription ?  If so, odds are that your sub is for single connection/stream at a time (that is why you don't see the number of connections.

BTW: For the panel reference, that is not something you would be able to access.  It is a reseller's web site where you can create new subscriptions.  And in some panels you can see the connections that each client is using at any one time.  And since I have my own panel for the service I use, I can check the number streams I am using.

no odds needed

mac is only 1 connection

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emporium said:

RE: "Are you using a MAC based subscription ?" - YES.

RE: "Multiconnection subs typically use XC type connections." - What's an XC type connection, and how do I get them?

6 minutes ago, jellytotz said:

RE: "Are you using a MAC based subscription ?" - YES.

RE: "Multiconnection subs typically use XC type connections." - What's an XC type connection, and how do I get them?

ask your seller to switch you xtreme codes or m3u

2 minutes ago, dishuser said:

ask your seller to switch you xtreme codes or m3u

OK, we will, thank you. What's the difference between xtreme or m3u?

In the meantime, we found a crappy work-around. In configuration we set "Real Time Streaming" and "Tunneled playback" both to "on". Now if the show freezes, then the screen goes black, BUT the show recovers a second later. Unfortunately this is happening fairly often, every few minutes or so. We will speak to our seller about switching codes.

7 minutes ago, jellytotz said:

OK, we will, thank you. What's the difference between xtreme or m3u?

In the meantime, we found a crappy work-around. In configuration we set "Real Time Streaming" and "Tunneled playback" both to "on". Now if the show freezes, then the screen goes black, BUT the show recovers a second later. Unfortunately this is happening fairly often, every few minutes or so. We will speak to our seller about switching codes.

I would be looking for a better service

The constant glitching is probably the fact that you are only permitted a single connection so each connection is fighting and getting kicked/reset by the server and process continues.

Unfortunately NOT all providers offers XC or even M3U.  Some are only MAC based.  Not saying they are all bad (since I still use some), but you do need to know the limitations.  And recording while watching is one of them.   

If your service does not offer XC option, but you really like it, you will need to accept the limitation that you can only schedule a recording when you are NOT going to be watching.  Otherwise you will need to find another service, that offers XC/Multiconnection option if you absolutely want to record while watching. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JDMotes said:

Don’t forget that you’ll want at least two connections (from your provider) for recording; one for the channel your watching and one for the channel you’re recording. 😊

don't forget that this is already mentioned...lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1