download failed

dishuser

11 hours ago, dishuser said:

every download fails at 4.29 gb

Sounds like a FAT32 issue 🙂   FAT32 filesystem, max file size if 4GB.   If you will be doing downloads larger than 4GB, you should format your storage on a PC (using exFAT instead of FAT32) and then use that.  Not sure if NTFS will work also, but exFAT I know has worked for me in the past.

Obviously there could be other issues, but the filesystem at least for sure will limit the max file size.

• Like 1

I just confirmed that formatting using the 4900 formats in FAT32.  I installed an old 120GB SSD into the 4900, did a format as removable storage, tried to download and it failed just after 4GB.  Took it out and plugged into a PC, and it was FAT32.  Formatted it on the PC with exFAT and put it back into the 4900. did the config to specify destination again, and so far downloading Quantumania (4k) and it is at 7GB and still going. 

• Like 2

it makes no sense that fat32 is default

it makes the drive pretty much useless

maybe a firmware update can change that?

I formatted with my 3900 first as device then as removable

so 2 formats and my previous recording were still there...lol

Edited by dishuser

32 minutes ago, dishuser said:

it makes no sense that fat32 is default

it makes the drive pretty much useless

maybe a firmware update can change that?

I formatted with my 3900 first as device then as removable

so 2 formats and my previous recording were still there...lol

Did you actually try to play back your recordings ?  The recordings will show they are still there, but that is because the xml file (or whatever other type of file is used) that keeps track of what has been recorded or downloaded is on the main internal storage 🙂

Unfortunately, FAT32 has been the default for ages on TV boxes.  I agree it is pointless with large files nowadays, but Buzz is not the only one.  Personally, I would have assumed that anything formatted by the box itself would have been in EXT3 or even EXT4 filesystem, which is a lot more robust than FAT32.  But I guess there are advantages to keeping removable storage as some PC type format like FAT32 (probably less chance of corruption if pulled from the unit without unmounting or shutting down).

I even tried to find a 3rd party app to format on Android as exFAT but could not find one.  Even if I wanted to launch a terminal emulator (ex: termux) on the android box, you would probably need root to be able to do an "mkfs.exfat" to format a device with exFAT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dishuser said:

I'm gonna remove the drive from an old dell laptop and load EaseUS Partition Master and use that to format drive with no OS

That'll work.   Love the EaseUS products.  I have standalone bootable ISOs of most of their software and has saved me on many occasions.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dishuser said:

so I put a post-it note on power supply for modem/router not to unplug and successfully downloaded a 4k movie 👍🏾

Glad it worked out.

Definitely would be nice if there was an option directly from the box to format media in exFAT format to allow downloads greater than 4GB (which is a limitation on FAT32).  Maybe with the introduction of the P6 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dishuser said:

so I downloaded four 4k movies today and none had any audio...lol

they play fine in vlc though 🙂

Interesting..  No audio if played through the PVR downloads interface ?  OK if played through VLC ?  So it's a codec issue then.  

I don't see an option to change/select player for VOD Downloads.  Guess that would be a nice addition, so you would be able to choose "external" and the use what you want.  Or even have VOD Downloads follow the VOD player selection.  Right now I am assuming it is using primary since I have external set for VOD player, but get no prompt to choose (like I do for VOD).

• Like 1