Usb drive

Chris1

I hooked up a sata drive using a usb to sata adopter and I got the massage to let the ex explorer to use it but it doesn't show up in the settings storage it format the drive and it worked on my u5 but the p6 

I tried using 2 different SATA SSD (1 intel, and one Samsung) using various adapters.  The basic USB to SATA simple adapters, which are 1 or 2 USB pigtails off a SATA connector, at least the 2 models I have do not work at all. They just don't see any drive.  In Storage under settings, you don't even see a blip when you plug it in.  I suspect this has to do with the way the USB bridges in these units handle the drives.

Then I tried with a few different powered USB disk docks (2 models from Startech).  With drives configured with MBR and formatted as single exFAT partition, the drives are seen, but as soon as you plug them in, they show up under the storage settings menu, but then go to "safely ejected" immediately. I even tried to do a "full format" instead of just quick format, and made no difference.   Then just out of curiosity, I decided to reformat the drives in NTFS (the only other available option on my W10 machine) and then put them back in the dock and they were seen, and I even added them as my PVR destination and recorded on them without an issue.   I'm surprised that Android box preferred NTFS over exFAT, but it could have something to do with kernel modules, so not sure.

USB storage is definitely pickier on the P6.  But some do work fine.  The compatibility of more USB media, is surely something for them to work on in future firmware.

• Like 6