Can't get Write permission for external USB drive or internal SATA devices configured as external storage

Ed B

I've tried several SATA, SSD drives and USB drives formatted as NTFS and exFAT, even tried delete volume and let the XRS4900 format each drive. In every case I am unable to create folders or copy files to the drives. I've been trying to figure this out all day and no luck. The goal is to add a 1TB SSD drive to use for PVR recordings and media storage only. If it's not possible with the internal SATA port, I have a Seagate 1TB external USB 3.0 drive that I can use instead. If anyone has any ideas for me to try or a link to a guide, I would really appreciate any help!

Edited by Ed B
typo

7 minutes ago, Ed B said:

I've tried several SATA, SSD drives and USB drives formatted as NTFS and exFAT, even tried delete volume and let the XRS4900 format each drive. In every case I am unable to create folders or copy files to the drives. I've been trying to figure this out all day and no luck. The goal is to add a 1TB SSD drive to use for PVR recordings and media storage only. If it's not possible with the internal SATA port, I have a Seagate 1TB external USB 3.0 drive that I can use instead. If anyone has any ideas for me to try or a link to a guide, I would really appreciate any help!

Can you record to the Drive still?

I can see all of the shows I set to record, but when I click on them it says ""No recordings found"

This is with Recordings storage location set to Internal shared storage.

Edited by Ed B
Added info

31 minutes ago, nbs. said:

Formatted?

Yeah, there's a known bug that's being worked on...I tried every which way to use added storage and no dice. Formatted on box, pre-formatted, internal, external...nothing is writable.

A couple days ago, I had recorded  onto a 160GB Toshiba HardDrive (SATA)

Seemed to work fine with the recording found on the HDD                                                                                                                                                                              Android>media>buzz.services.pvr

But I just tried again and the in 'New Schedule' setup,, I can not choose a dive to record to. The slot to select a drive is stuck in Locating mode. This did work the other day and I had two external drives connected at that time to which both showed in this slot. I have reboot the 4900 a few times but always same result. So I opened a File Manager and I can see the USB drive and the SATA drive and also a Mouse is connected with a USB card and that works fine, so the box is seeing these drives, but seems they are not seen by the recording function.

I opened that recording from the other day and it played fine. The Mouse works fine and the Manager sees all the drives.  But no drives are seen in the Recording Scheduler setup.

I had installed a Buzz5 Beta file since I did that recording, is the only difference.

7 minutes ago, Ed B said:

I wish I was one of them, LOL.

1 hour ago, nbs. said:

i know many users with drives working

No matter what drive I connect (USB or SATA) it's showing no write access in FX File Manager. There's an option in FX to SETUP write access, but the next screen says "direct volume access was denied" If I click on the next arrow I receive the following popup System error: "This device does not appear to support the Android Storage Access Framework.  (Error: ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE not implemented by device.)

On 3/20/2021 at 8:35 PM, whacked said:

A couple days ago, I had recorded  onto a 160GB Toshiba HardDrive (SATA)

Seemed to work fine with the recording found on the HDD                                                                                                                                                                              Android>media>buzz.services.pvr

But I just tried again and the in 'New Schedule' setup,, I can not choose a dive to record to. The slot to select a drive is stuck in Locating mode. This did work the other day and I had two external drives connected at that time to which both showed in this slot. I have reboot the 4900 a few times but always same result. So I opened a File Manager and I can see the USB drive and the SATA drive and also a Mouse is connected with a USB card and that works fine, so the box is seeing these drives, but seems they are not seen by the recording function.

I opened that recording from the other day and it played fine. The Mouse works fine and the Manager sees all the drives.  But no drives are seen in the Recording Scheduler setup.

I had installed a Buzz5 Beta file since I did that recording, is the only difference.

PM me

On 3/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, Ed B said:

No matter what drive I connect (USB or SATA) it's showing no write access in FX File Manager. There's an option in FX to SETUP write access, but the next screen says "direct volume access was denied" If I click on the next arrow I receive the following popup System error: "This device does not appear to support the Android Storage Access Framework.  (Error: ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE not implemented by device.)

Yes were fully aware of this issue.

• Thanks 2

I apologize for interupting this thread, but I wanted to report my current standing with the issue I had of not recognizing my external or internal drives in the recording menu (which I reported in this thread a day or two ago). The issue is fixed and now working as designed. Recording onto HDD drives also works fine,  SATA type drives included.

thnx allaboutbuzz

BTW, do you get any sleep ?  ... You are a amazing :)

Edited by whacked
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Ogrish58 said:

Was this issue resolved and if so is there somewhere the solution can be accessed? I bought my box last week and just tried to install a Seagate 500gb from a laptop but had no luck.

did you format it as removable(external)?

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...