Vizio TV Remote (for both my Vizio TV's) "Mute" key sends a "9" to the BuzzTV X5

whirly

This of course changes the channel to "9" in the channel list. Just for clarification ... the mute key on the Vizio remote is just above the volume key on both Vizio Remotes and nowhere near the "9" key. This evidently has nothing to do with the BT400 remote pairing.

With the BT400  factory reset, not paired and CEC disabled, the Vizio remote still sends a "9" to the player ... shows up as a 9 in a black box in the upper left hand corner. I suspect your code for the "9" button is the same as Vizio's "Mute" button.

Next I tried to get the remote to re-pair to the TV. The screen indicated it was pairing to the TV and a "1" was shown on the screen. I pressed the "mute" button and "9" showed on the screen with the corresponding change of channels.

Next I did the factory rest of the BT400 again but this time I tried the manual setup .... there is no code list for any Vizio TV in the TV list. (see attached)

My original theory was that the pairing would send the Vizio remote codes to the X5 to use kind of like the OSMC's Raspberry Pi version of Kodi does with the CEC turned on. However, it evidently does not appear that is the case and none of the BT400 keys - ON/OFF; Volume; any number key including the "9"; etc - work after an "Auto Setup".

Don't know what you can do about this but without a fix everyone who has a Vizio TV will probably not be pleased.

No Vizio.jpg

It's a shame that they got rid of the mute button on the b400 remote (compared to the BT100/200). 

You will be glad to know, that on the BT-250 (latest BT remote) which comes also with the latest "The Classic" buzz box, does have the mute button.  And as a bonus, the remote is also an AirMouse 🙂

At least with a mute button on the buzz remote, you can avoid using the mute on the vizio remote (at least when using the buzz).

Many of the Tier2 and Tier3 brands of TVs tend to have some sort of conflict with other devices.   My Mom has a cheap Haier TV she got from costco a few years back.  And I don't recall what button it is (I think it is the info or guide button), it toggles her "electric fireplace/heater" on/off.  I ended up putting  piece of electric tape over the IR sensor on the heater, and when she needs it, she can just use the manual buttons on the heater.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:24 PM, whirly said:

This of course changes the channel to "9" in the channel list. Just for clarification ... the mute key on the Vizio remote is just above the volume key on both Vizio Remotes and nowhere near the "9" key. This evidently has nothing to do with the BT400 remote pairing.

With the BT400  factory reset, not paired and CEC disabled, the Vizio remote still sends a "9" to the player ... shows up as a 9 in a black box in the upper left hand corner. I suspect your code for the "9" button is the same as Vizio's "Mute" button.

Next I tried to get the remote to re-pair to the TV. The screen indicated it was pairing to the TV and a "1" was shown on the screen. I pressed the "mute" button and "9" showed on the screen with the corresponding change of channels.

Next I did the factory rest of the BT400 again but this time I tried the manual setup .... there is no code list for any Vizio TV in the TV list. (see attached)

My original theory was that the pairing would send the Vizio remote codes to the X5 to use kind of like the OSMC's Raspberry Pi version of Kodi does with the CEC turned on. However, it evidently does not appear that is the case and none of the BT400 keys - ON/OFF; Volume; any number key including the "9"; etc - work after an "Auto Setup".

Don't know what you can do about this but without a fix everyone who has a Vizio TV will probably not be pleased.

No Vizio.jpg

Our boxes use NEC Protocol for IR Codes

So it sounds like the Mute key on your Vizio remote use the same NEC IR code as our #9

This can happen sometimes
Even though the BT-400 is paired via Bluetooth to the box

There is still an IR sensor on the front of the box as pointed out in the post above mine

Unfortunately we cannot fix this

• Like 1