Certain VOD streams not showing video

Adam Crossley

Hi, I searched the forum but can't find a thread with this exact problem.

I have an XRS400 with V20211111 and 4.0.530 (latest) and while Live TV works fine, I'm finding that many VOD streams only play audio but no video (just a blank screen). I do not get a "media not recognized" error or any error complaining about a codec. I've tried both "default" and "secondary" player and both have the same issue. I've rebooted and reset the box multiple times.

Does anyone know what may be causing this or have any other suggestions to try? Is there something that may help in auto frame rate settings? Is it a known issue that the current firmware doesn't support certain codecs?

Edited by Adam Crossley

33 minutes ago, Adam Crossley said:

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I did try that already but my box won't allow 5 Beta upgrade, it just blocks it when I enter "2015" saying beta update not available. So, that's why I was looking for alternate solutions.

You can email buzz with your device id and firmware version They can send the update to your buzz Cs@buzztv.com 

You could also try factory set and try for buzz 5 again but you will lose all info

Edited by nbs.

7 hours ago, Adam Crossley said:

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I did try that already but my box won't allow 5 Beta upgrade, it just blocks it when I enter "2015" saying beta update not available. So, that's why I was looking for alternate solutions.

your box is not blocking anything ,its just not available on the buzz server right now

Edited by nbs.

Just a small comment.  BuzzTV 5 is not in beta any more 🙂    Been quite a while.

Not sure how it is still sent to the 4000 the first time it gets it, but even if it does get a beta initially, it will then update to the latest non-beta version as soon as it reboots.

Buzz got back to me and enabled the beta somehow so I just updated the box. Then I rebooted it and it updated again, but to a newer beta version. Rebooted again and it's still on BuzzTV 5.

However, this didn't solve the original problem in the post - the same VOD streams still aren't displaying video.

Are there any recommendations for alternate players for VOD streams?

In BuzzTV 5 you can now even enable an external player to use for VOD streams.  If you select an external player like VLC, MX player, Titan Player, etc.. and your streams still don't work, there there is something strange with the service.   I know with some servers it can take up to 30 seconds for it to start streaming (depending on the service).  I know one server operator, and they have acknowledged that they are looking into the long delays before VOD starts to stream.

Just curious, have you tried installing and using something like IPTV Smarters app (assuming you are using an XC api based login with user/pass), or STBEmu if using MAC based, and see if it works with those apps. 

IF it works with those apps, then you should contact buzz and give them the details (of provider, login type, etc..) so they can confirm and look into it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try that.

But just to make sure we're talking about the same thing the stream is fine and works, it's only the video part that won't play, audio plays fine.  So, I'm wondering if it's maybe some unsupported codec.

No I haven't tried STBEmu and not sure what it is either, will have to read up on that..