X5 128 AX Special Edition external inputs issues

rgj

I watched youtube with Justin and Adam showing the new boxes and was impressed with the features the boxes have. I have the Buzztv X5 128 AX Special Edition, received it January 4 2023. There is an issue with trying to use the usb and micro sd slots for added memory. The box keeps crashing or booting when trying to use these inputs. Had to FACTORY RESET a couple of times. I hope Adam will get this message and get back with a solution.

• Like 1

First I want to thank you for responding to my post. I am sorry, I am not 100% knowledgeable when it comes to these kind of issues. But I will try to answer your question.

I am not sure if I formatted the box as removable. I tried so many possibilities to get it to record on a removable drive with no success, for example, micro sd, thumbnail and external hard- drive.  During one of several attempts it ask me to format one of the drives and it said that I would not be able to use the drive outside of the X5 128 AX. 

That's how much I know. So if you happen to know exactly what the name of drive that is compatible and you can tell what I need to know in setting up the box to accept the drive...I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you 

When you say "would not be able to use the drive outside of the X5 128 AX" that would not be correct, since that would be formatting it as internal storage, where the Android OS is "adopting" the filesystem.  This can cause an issue since if it is formatted using that method, then there is a possibility that when you install applications, it would go to that drive (since it assumes it is part of the internal storage).  

If you have a decent quality USB key, you can even format it on a PC if you please.  However on a PC in order to get the most out of the key with no limitations, change the file system type to "exFAT".   Not FAT32 or NTFS.  FAT32 has a 2GB file size limitation.  For small recording or downloads it is not a problem.  But if you want to download large movies, this will be an issue.

When you go to Settings -> Device Preferences -> Storage.  What do you see ?  OK, on top you have Device Storage, and it should list Internal Shared storage, and it should say "Total space: 115GB".  Then if it is done correctly, you should see Removable storage, with the name of the USB key underneath it, and then Total Space: xxGB where xx is the size of the key (similar to image I attached). 

Also, make sure you are using the correct port.  I am assuming the X5 AX Special edition is similar to the X5 (non SE), as it has 2 USB ports on the side.  One is a USB 2.0 one (black internal connector), and the other one is a USB 3.0 (Blue internal connector).   Ideally your key is a USB3 key, and to take advantage of it's full speed, you should insert it into the one with the Blue connector.

x5storage.jpg

I formatted the thumbnail drive to exFAT32 and tried it in the Buzztv X5 128 AX, and did several scheduled recordings and to my amazement the drive was able to record.

The only thing now is that, for some reason a 1/2hr recording only actually recorded about 21 minutes. This seems like a minor problem since I am now able to select where I want the recording to go to.

Thank you very much for the advice, feel free to add anything that I might have missed.

• Like 1

Hello, I formatted a USB yesterday and everything worked fine. Today when I try and load Kodi I get the message “Waiting for external storage “. 

when I go into storage, I see internal shared 115gb. Next PNY usb drive is safe to eject, and then PNY not connected. It is plugged in. I have unplugged and removed usb, and restarted nothing. 

what are my options? Thanks

I'm assuming you are using the USB3 port ?

Well looks like there is obviously something it does not like with the PNY stick.  All the sticks I use with my buzz boxes are either Sandisk or Kingston and so far have not had an issue. 

I did try an "adata" once and had all sorts of weird issues with it.  Needless to say it was removed and now used for tossing around files to friends.

Do you have a different USB stick you can try ?