Reinstall Netflix

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have an XRS 4900  and I inadvertently uninstalled my Netflix app and when I go to reinstall the app I get the same response,  "this app won't work for your device".  I agree with SteveRo, a factory reset seems a little extreme.  And I tried the Aptoide Store as well and when I click on download it shows downloading but stay's at 0% and does not move. Anyone with any other suggestions?

21 minutes ago, Seth House said:

I have an XRS 4900  and I inadvertently uninstalled my Netflix app and when I go to reinstall the app I get the same response,  "this app won't work for your device".  I agree with SteveRo, a factory reset seems a little extreme.  And I tried the Aptoide Store as well and when I click on download it shows downloading but stay's at 0% and does not move. Anyone with any other suggestions?

in aptoide try installing an older version and then update it

If someone can tell you what version of netflix app is installed and working on their 4900 you can always use a site like apkmirror and download the apk for that version (for the armeabi-v7a architecture) and install it manually.

On the 4500 I think the original version was 6.26.0 or something like that.  you can try searching for that on apkmirror if you want.

Keep in mind you will most probably need mouse cursor to use netflix on these boxes.

• Like 1

The "this app won't work for your device" message is usually because you are trying to download a version for the incorrect platform (x86, etc..).   For these boxes you need the one for the armeabi-v7a architecture.  Unlike the Google play store, aptoide does NOT filter results compatible specifically for your platform only.  You need to know what you need.

4 minutes ago, Emporium said:

The "this app won't work for your device" message is usually because you are trying to download a version for the incorrect platform (x86, etc..).   For these boxes you need the one for the armeabi-v7a architecture.  Unlike the Google play store, aptoide does NOT filter results compatible specifically for your platform only.  You need to know what you need.

I get messages on aptoide for some apps that show incomptible or not tested

• Like 1

Incompatible or not tested is usually because app was designed for a different android version than what is installed on box, and can be incompatible depending on the target sdk, etc...  But many apps are a little more forgiving on that.   However "app won't work" is more a definitive message that you have selected the wrong platform 🙂

Anyhow, I typically download the APK files for all the apps I typically use, keep them on a USB stick and on my NAS.  It makes reinstallation a lot easier when I need it.  And that way I do not need to use my google sign in on the box (I prefer not to sign in to my boxes - personal preference).  

25 minutes ago, dishuser said:

but what about updates?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it 🙂

For app (other than Buzztv itself), I really don't care much for updates.   Once in a while I'll download latest APK if enough new features are introduced (like on Plex client), or if I expect a bug fix for something that affects my usage, but otherwise, I don't often care.  The latest with some apps, is not the most stable.

But to each their own.  Some people want the latest and greatest all the time.  Personally I prioritize stability over the "latest".