BuzzTV U5 Broken ?

Opazzno_NooB

When you unplug the power, the RED LED goes off ?

Do you by any chance have a spare HDMI cable, which you can swap ? I know it sounds strange, but if CEC is on, a defective HDMI cable may force the box to go into standby mode.

Are you using the actual Power supply that came with your U5, or a power supply from another BuzzTV box you had ?  Unlike all other BuzzTV boxes, the U5 and the xrs4900 use a 12V power supply, but all other buzztv boxes use only a 5V power supply.  If you try to use the 5V power supply with a U5, it may work (except for the 1TB HDD/SSD), but it may not be 100% stable.

In general, I tried two hdmi cables and nothing helped, everything is the same. The red diode is on. I noticed that when you connect even to another hdmi port on the TV, he sees that they connected the hdmi3 or hdmi 4 port, but there is no picture and there is a red lamp on the BuzzTv u5 set-top box (it feels like something with the power supply from the set-top box.

since its not doing anything I would say try to factory reset with tooth pick and insert into audio video hole and keep holding while powering up your box and see if anything comes up on screen. if still not then I would contact buzz team and let them take care from there. 🙂

Edited by Ryu

As Emporium mentions, the power cable can be the issue. Maybe it's faulty. And be sure it is indeed the correct one.

I had a related experience awhile ago. I have an X5 and a 4900 and a couple times I used the X5 cable to power up the 4900 (only because I accidently connected the wrong cable), but nothing worked and only a red light on front of device same as what you are seeing.

Then I used the 4900's correct power cable and then no more power issue.

Edited by whacked
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, whacked said:

As Emporium mentions, the power cable can be the issue. Maybe it's faulty. And be sure it is indeed the correct one.

I had a related experience awhile ago. I have an X5 and a 4900 and a couple times I used the X5 cable to power up the 4900 (only because I accidently connected the wrong cable), but nothing worked and only a red light on front of device same as what you are seeing.

Then I used the 4900's correct power cable and then no more power issue.

the u5 and 4900 both use 12v power suplly

the x5 does not...it's 5v

I'm tired of talking to buzztvglobal.com support. They are trying to convince me that I have a bad hdmi cable. I sent them a photo and sent a video that I used different cables and even a different TV. And they stand their ground) tell us right away, we won’t change anything for you and we won’t return it. Although I only need a replacement box and not a refund. Were they always like this?

Yes, the box is new to her for 2 days, the first day everything was ok, and on the second day the red light. I took the SSD out and it didn't help. I say in support that the only solution to the problem is to replace the power supply or the box itself, but support is stubbornly trying not to solve the problem, but to enumerate proposals in a circle on what needs to be done so that there is no red color and does not want to admit that I have a defective device . I have a feeling that I will be left with a broken u5 box and they will not change it for me.

34 minutes ago, Opazzno_NooB said:

Yes, the box is new to her for 2 days, the first day everything was ok, and on the second day the red light. I took the SSD out and it didn't help. I say in support that the only solution to the problem is to replace the power supply or the box itself, but support is stubbornly trying not to solve the problem, but to enumerate proposals in a circle on what needs to be done so that there is no red color and does not want to admit that I have a defective device . I have a feeling that I will be left with a broken u5 box and they will not change it for me.

bullshit

they honor their warranty so don't even go there

how is trying to resolving the issue a problem if it works and saves shipping back and forth?

• Like 1

How can it work if it doesn't work? How do they solve the problem if they go to the same place, hdmi, reset, turn it on, turn it on like this, do it then do it. I tell them that I did all this before writing to you. But they don’t hear me, they still ask the same thing only in a different way, for two days of correspondence and 0 sense. They shot a video for me, well, we don’t see how you connected hdmi to the box, I say, but that it can be connected somehow differently? I tried 3 different native cables, then I unpacked the new one and the cable that I currently have on the Buzztv x5 and still I get a red light. There is no solution to the problem. I tell them that there is such a thing as a factory defect, since such a thing happens almost immediately when a new device is connected, I explain to them that I am very well versed in technology, I’m with her on you, but she keeps me for some fool. I already regretted that I bought this box there. It's not about money, it's about not being able to solve problems. I remember buying in China, if there is a problem, then they solve it for you in a day, but here it’s been 3 days and I’m sure today will be the same as yesterday and the day before yesterday, do this, connect a new hdmi cable, do a reset.

Not every user is at the same technical level.  Having done tech support in the past, you can't assume anything.  Even the simplest of tasks you NEED to repeat with all users, regardless of how much they THINK they know.

You spending money to buy a new power supply is just  waste of money.  You already established that you are using the original U5 power supply (can you check to make sure it says 12V - in case it was accidently packaged with the wrong one).  Once tech support finishes having the tests needed run (and they need to test every possibility), they will take care of you.  

I personally spend a few days with one user a few weeks ago trying all sorts of stuff because his HDD wasn't being recognized in his U5.  He had even opened a ticket with buzz.  We were convinced that the HDD was defective.  HE even orders a USB->SATA adapter cable to be able to test the HDD on his PC.   After trying everything, just randomly he mentioned that he never had a problem with his previous Buzz box, so I asked him if he was using the power supply from his old box, and low and behold that was the problem.  HE tried to quickly plug in the box, so he did not use the new cables/power supply, just reused the ones from his previous box, and that was the problem.  5V vs 12V 🙂   

You say next day resolution with box from china.  Sure, when it costs you $10 to build a crappy box, you have zero development staff, because everything is just a knock off of some other android box, and you sell for crazy mark ups, you can easily just throw another box out there, and you don't even care to get the original box back, because shipping would cost you more than the box is worth to you.  But you will never even get a single update (OS or app).  You can't compare apples and oranges.

Yes, it may require some patience.  But you will not be left with a broken box, if that is the case.  They honor their warranty, and then some.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello dear. Send me new power supplies from U5 and X5-128. From U5 I put a red diode on the U5 prefix and the red diode is on, it's not about the block, the prefix arrived without leaving) Dear, tell me what to take Buzztv x5-128 or Buzztv U5. It's just that on U5 I like that you can put an ssd inside and a little better iron, but I'm afraid that the defective one will come again) what should I do? Which one to buy?