3900 power pack

Frank Buzz

if the 3900 is anything like my 3000, it does use a smaller barrel connector than the 4000 series or new "X"5 series.

However as far as I know, all Buzz boxes will work fine with 5V, 2A power supplies (center positive).  Only exceptions are the xrs4900 and the U5, which require a 12V power supply due to the onboard SATA HDD socket.   Oh ya, and a few of the boxes (like the E5) which use USB connections (which are 5V in essence) for power.

I don't have a 3900 so can't confirm barrel, but if someone can confirm if it is the same as the xpl3000, then you will find that "Artronix" is selling some power supplies on amazon canada that are compatible with "Buzztv Xpl1000 Xpl2000 Xpl3000" and some MyGica boxes.  Modest price of $15, which is reasonable I guess.  It's an option.

49 minutes ago, dishuser said:

but I forgot one important fact

the 3900 uses a 12v adapter

Are you sure ? 

I thought only the xrs4900 and U5 used 12V adapters, due to the SATA HDD port.

According to an old unboxing Video, it says 5V, 3A...

https://youtu.be/J-1VYkcPMgE?t=52

And a closeup still shot from the video:

xpl3900 power supply closeup.jpg

Edited by Emporium

I just checked my 3000, and it is 2A.  But I'm sure it would be fine with a 1.5A also.  Even the 3900, I doubt it "needs" 3A.  a 2A would probably be sufficient, but having more current (amps) available does not hurt (unlike having too high of a voltage which could smoke the box).  Pretty sure it is 5V.  Only reason the xrs4900 and U5 use a 12V, is because of the SATA port which "by specs" requires a 12V line.  

7 hours ago, Emporium said:

I just checked my 3000, and it is 2A.  But I'm sure it would be fine with a 1.5A also.  Even the 3900, I doubt it "needs" 3A.  a 2A would probably be sufficient, but having more current (amps) available does not hurt (unlike having too high of a voltage which could smoke the box).  Pretty sure it is 5V.  Only reason the xrs4900 and U5 use a 12V, is because of the SATA port which "by specs" requires a 12V line.  

the 3900 was the first model to hold a drive

• Like 1

I completely forgot about that.   But maybe that is why they used a 3A power supply, since they probably do the upconverting from 5V to 12V internally (which obviously give you lower current - since power is maintained [assuming 0 loss]).    

Anyhow, when you get a chance you can check you power supply and let us know.  

OK.. So it is confirmed that it is a 12V 3A power supply on the 3900. 

You may be able to get away with a 2A version if you don't use the internal HDD slot, or if you are using an SSD... but it you have a regular mechanical 2.5" HDD, I am pretty sure you will need the 3A, since the 2A would probably be just shy of having enough power with an HDD present.

• Like 1