BuzzTV U5 Launch Edition and ejected Western Digital drive

JasonN

Like I asked other users.. Are you using the Power supply that came with the unit ?  

The xrs4900 and the U5 use a 12V power supply.  Most of the other Buzz boxes, use a 5V power supply.  I know many people when they get a new box, to make things quick, they tend to reuse the existing HDMI, ethernet and even power cables from a previous box.  Even though this will power up the box, it will not have enough power for the HDD.

Just checking.

I am the original poster. It is unfortunate to see that others are experiencing the same issue, too.

I tried an old 128 GB SSD and it never ejected. I purchased a new 1 TB SSD and it has been running flawlessly in the u5 for weeks now. I repurposed the included WD HDD in my desktop.

Has everybody submitted a ticket with BuzzTV? I did and they said there's nothing in the captured logs indicating what the failure could be.

• 5 weeks later...

Guys somehow my WD 1Tb when i go to storage  keeps showwing this option 

-Erase & format as device storage

-I hit eject

Put it back in go check and never have option use as removable....

Or by having there just :

Erase and format as device storage means its actually as removable as of now ?

Edited by Benfica

6 minutes ago, Benfica said:

Guys somehow my WD 1Tb when i go to storage  keeps showwing this option 

-Erase & format as device storage

-I hit eject

Put it back in go check and never have option use as removable....

Or by having there just :

Erase and format as device storage means its actually as removable as of now ?

Like you said.  It is probably already as removable.  IF you "erase and format as device storage", only then will you get the option for "erase and format as removable storage"

• Like 1

So i did a few recordinga on pvr went perfect

When doing a Vod no go...movie downloads all the way then once finishes it jumps to Failed.....i redirect the downloads to my Sd card and all downloads go fine....very weird i  am goin today to reformat it and try from scratch....

34 minutes ago, Benfica said:

So i did a few recordinga on pvr went perfect

When doing a Vod no go...movie downloads all the way then once finishes it jumps to Failed.....i redirect the downloads to my Sd card and all downloads go fine....very weird i  am goin today to reformat it and try from scratch....

For downloads, I found that downloading smaller non-4k movies ,works fine.  When downloading larger 4k movies, it starts well, but after the 1GB mark, it does often fail.  I have alternatives in my case, so I don't bother downloading the VOD on my buzz box. 

Don't know if it is something with the download manager used or our specific server.  DU and I had a discussion about it, in the "testing" section on another site, just before xmas 😋

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benfica said:

Has to be something because whem i tell the vod downloads to go into SD card it doesnt  matter what size....weird 

Lets see if the big guys come with a solution

I also have my 'backup" where i get my movies for my plex....

So i can wait for a solution also then 👍

the dev knows as it was brought to their attention last year

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My WD Blue SSD worked well but I needed to re-format it within the U5. I did this and now I get the message ready to eject. I remove it and I get the message drive not found. Impossible to reformat within the U5. All I get from tech support is to format it in a PC. Definitely a bug.

48 minutes ago, Jean Couture said:

My WD Blue SSD worked well but I needed to re-format it within the U5. I did this and now I get the message ready to eject. I remove it and I get the message drive not found. Impossible to reformat within the U5. All I get from tech support is to format it in a PC. Definitely a bug.

Next time, if you need support, please start your own thread instead of bumping a 1yr old thread.

Android can format an HDD, but by default android will only format using FAT32, which is not recommended, since FAT32 has a 2GB file size limitation which will end up being an issue if you ever want to download any VOD, and most movies today are >2GB.  Hence why it is recommended to use a PC, and therefore you can format to exFAT.   Also, Android provides limited access to external devices for deleting existing partitions and recreating them. There are some 3rd party apps, but unfortunately, due to 'security features' in Android, many of those apps will need ROOT access to do it (which these boxes to not provide - for good reason).

When you go into your Settings->device preferences->Storage, is your drive listed under "device storage", or "removable storage" ?

The U5 can create a partition and format it (in FAT32 however), however the drive needs to be free of any older partitions (which android boxes can't by any easy method, manipulate them).  Reformatting the same partition is not the best option.  Any recent Android (not specific to the any buzz box) will only offer you to erase and format "as device storage" (something I hope android finally drops - since it is useless anymore).

A PC (with a small USB to SATA cable) to delete the existing partitions, and then recreate a new one and format as exFAT is the best way to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dishuser said:

4gb

You are correct.. Max file size limit is 4GB.. I keep mixing it up with the max partition size of 2TB 🙂   But still 4GB is still limit on downloading good bitrate movies, and could be source of frustration when it keeps truncating.  It is fine as long as you know the limits. 

But Android with no root, is no simple task to blow away old partitions.  I just installed an old 500GB Toshiba Laptop drive (left over from SSD upgrade) I had lying around into my U5, and since it was a windows main drive before it had 3 partitions (system reserved, main os, and recovery).  There was no simple way on Android to erase it all and reinstall.  And 2 out of the 3 partitions were showing as ejected.   Took drive out, connected to my laptop, went into disk management, and just deleted all volumes (usually I do it from command line - diskpart - list disk - select disk 1 - clean  ; but this time I figured I'd do it as a typical user would with UI), and then installed in U5 .   It then recognized the drive, and allowed me to format it as portable storage and use it (and rebooted 2 or 3 times, and downloaded 2 TV series episodes and had no problem with it disconnecting).  Sure it is FAT32, but it works for now with limitations considered.

Anyhow, I removed it and put back my 240GB SSD 🙂   It is silent, does not get hot, and when playing back, all REW/FWD through commercials is instantaneous.  And a small SSD is dirt cheap these days.

HEY... You know something...   I just took the Toshiba HDD (which I tested in the U5) and put it on my USB->SATA adapter to put it on my laptop to clear it, and I was surprised to see, that the U5 actually created and formatted the partition as exFAT... Nice !!!

And I know it was the U5 that created it, because I had just deleted all the partitions, I did not create one, the U5 created it.

• Like 2

Just tried it with a brand new 120GB SSD (fresh out of the package - yes I still have a pile left over from an old project).  Installed in U5, it saw it, and asked to format it as portable storage, which I did.   Then shutdown, removed and put into laptop and it was exFAT.   Not complaining 🙂

• Like 3