Buzztv XR4000 Connection Related Issues

TheGhost

So you know this is a Buzz TV XR 4000 box that I have here

it is running the latest version of the software being 

Firmware Version V20220105

Current IPTV Version 5.0.769

So I have noticed a few things first thing is when I go into the settings and into Network

in there it says that the Ethernet is not connected but it is. So why isn't the box detecting

that the Ethernet is plugged in because it is.  This connection is wired and has an Ethernet

cable plugged into which goes directly to my router Which is maybe 15 feet at most away

using I believe a cat 6 cable.

When a Network cable is plugged in the Buzz TV XR 4000 box should detect it but it isn't but

I still have full connectivity. It is set up to pull an IP from DHCP which the box has done

as you can see in the picture that I attached.

The 2nd issue I am noticing is wow some very slow speeds coiming from my

Buzz TV XR 4000. Now I am on a very fast connection a Gig-bit connection

My connection caps out at 1000 Mbps now when I run a speed test on the box

using an app that I put on there the speeds are horrible for it being a wired connection

I was getting 23.3 Mbps Down and 90.1 Mbps up.

Now in comparison when I run the same test on my laptop which is also wired

using a network cable I get the following speeds on my laptop.

I was getting 902.59 Mbps Down and 107.17 Mbps up when I ran the same test on the same

network That is much better. So why is the Buzz TV XR 4000 box getting such bad speeds

my network can clearly handle more and it isn't coming close to capping out my network.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/e675c1b7-cb94-4a34-a623-c6a993c6fcdf

I even took the network cable off that I was using to my laptop and ran it over

to my Buzz TV Box and plugged it in reran the test again on the Buzz TV Box and

still got low speeds i did that to ensure that this wasn't a network cable issue

which it wasn't I am trying to eliminate everything here. This clearly isn't my

network and is not a network issue here.

So why are the speeds so just terrible on the Buzz TV XR 4000 box

when the network clearly can do a lot more and provide a lot more

bandwidth than what the box is using.

I believe that this is something with the box itself and yes the box was

just reset recently too when I went up  to the Beta this is not an issue

so please don't tell me to reset my box that was just recently done and isn't

the issue here.  

I believe this is something to do with the  Buzz TV XR 4000 box and is a bug.

with it.

Also so you know I have rebooted the box then rerun the test and it doesn't

change the speed either it is still low. So that doesn't fix the issue. 

The images can also be seen at the links bellow

https://ibb.co/XFG3Ktd
https://ibb.co/Xyp9sjW

Can you please look into these issues please.

Thank you,

20220923_200818.jpg

20220923_201354.jpg

Edited by TheGhost

OK.. The connected vs not connected status message is a bug on many Android 9 boxes (and not only buzz boxes).  It does not affect connectivity (and you do see the IP address), but it is annoying.   In some cases, just toggling the WiFi button on the top ON-OFF again, will force change the status message.  This is not isolated to just the xr4000.

Now for the speed, you can't compare your laptop vs the xr4000.  Your laptop probably has a Gigabit ethernet adapter, and the xr4000 is just a 10/100 NIC.  So it is expected to be at least 10 times slower and will never even come close to capping out your network.  Yours is a little on the slow side (even for a 100Mb connection) , but for IPTV it will not affect anything, since I don't know of many IPTV services using that high of a bitrate anyhow.  

Try opening chrome and point to the following site and see what you get for speed rating:

https://fast.com/

Also, just curious, have you tried using WiFi ?

Also, keep in mind that the xr4000 is not one of the fastest machines (it has the quite older S905X2 CPU [Gen 2 Cortex A53 based], which dates back to 2019], and it was the budget model with only 2GB of RAM (compared to the XRS which has 4GB).  As such, before running any tests, make sure to go to home screen and press the home button 2 or 3 times to close off any background apps first.  With 2GB of RAM, the machine will lag behind if it has too many background apps open.

PS: Are you running a Dlink router/switch in your network ?  Some Dlink switches are known to have really pathetic speeds if used with anything other than typically gigabit connections.  So 10/100 connection tend to crawl on some models of Dlink switches/routers.  Before I redid my whole network, I used to have a 24port Dlink switch which was fine with most devices.  But with 10/100 devices it did all sorts of strange stuff.  It was even dropping packets on some of my security cameras 😞  Needless to say, it was scrapped.

• Like 1

Emporium are you a developer if not then why are you responding?

And the connected issue IS still a bug it isn't detecting the connection right and it still

needs to be fixed

And yes I can compare the two and yes I know that the XR 4000 only has a 10 / 100 but with my internet speed

I should be darn close to maxing out that link and it is no where even CLOSE to that.  The speeds are

horrible.  It should be going closer to 90 Mb/s at least.

Even with it having an older processor it still should be able to pull way more than it is.

Why would I try using Wifi it is going to even be slower than a wired connection.  Wifi isn't going to be

any better.

Also toggling Wifi off and on didn't work still says disconnected. Even after me doing that I tried

that after you mentioned that.

I opened up the most recent version of Google Chrome on the the Buzz TV XR 4000

and the speeds are the not that far off from before.  speedtest.net is Ookla and they are known to be good which

is what I was using before.

When I went to https://fast.com/ I got the following for a speed

It it says Your Internet Speed is 30 Mbps

LOL nope not even close My speed is closer to 1 Gbps and I have pulled 700 to 900 Mpps

on this connection.

To compare when I went to that same site on my laptop it said my Speed was 1.3 Gbps

when I went to fast.com from my laptop again.

There are no background apps running as I said I rebooted the box and did all the testing

again and it was coming out to be about the same.

Oh FYI Emporium I am a trained Network Admin who has worked in the IT field

I know what I am talking about here.

And no do not have a dlink router or switch this is plugged right into an Asus Router

this isn't a network issue again this is something with the Buzz TV XR 4000 box itself.

And again it does matter for the speeds especially when you are downloading an EPG where

the provider has several thousand channels or even 10s of thousands of channels.

I should be able to get a way better speed out of this box than J am considering the network

I am on.  I know my Network and I built it all myself and I know what it is capable of

and it can do way better than this. This is something with the Buzz TV XR 4000 box

itself.

Again both of these issues need to be looked at and are still an issue please fix both of

them Devs.

Thanks,

Edited by TheGhost
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

One thing for the developers I know that Buzz TV XR4000

box is based off of Android and Android is based off of

Linux but what I am wondering is if the box by default

is set to transmit in full or half duplex that would make a

difference in speed.

If this was one of my Linux servers here I could run a command like

ethtool eth0  and it would show me the all of that.

But how can I do that on the Buzz TV XR 4000 to see if it is connected

full or half duplex because my router I know will connect full duplex by

default if the network card supports it but this would make a difference

in the speeds too if it is setup to only use half duplex by default.

My router will accept either I know that but I can't find a way to check

it on the box is there a way developers on the Buzz TV XR 4000?

Thanks,

Am I a dev for Buzz, no.  But I have done over 30 years of dev on various realtime platforms and have done a lot of h/w engineering.  If you post in an open forum, expect replies from everyone.  It' usually a benefit, not a negative.  You don't want people's input or recommendations, then just deal with private messages with whoever you want, why post in an open forum.

You may be a network admin, but seem to have no concept about hardware design. Even though the network port is a 10/100, it does not mean that it can reach it's full potential.  All of these connections to the outside world,   need to connect to the CPU, and it all depends on what communication lanes they are using or sharing with other devices.  The I/O on the Gen2 chips was not stellar (this was the biggest issue).  IF I recall everything shared a single PCIe lane.  Reason I also asked you to check the WiFi is because there were MANY reports that the 5Ghz band on most of the S905X2 based boxes (not only Buzz), was the only way to achieve around 90Mbps.  Probably due to the way it was connected internally.   On the driver point of view, you are at the mercy of amlogic.  And much of it's SDK was in binary blobs only, so you don't have the sources to all of it.  Making it very difficult to modify built in features like ethernet drivers.

You say you have an ASUS router.  If you do, and being a network admin, you should be able to easily enable and then ssh or telnet into the router and check from the command line if the connection is half or full duplex.  This is one of the advantages of most asus routers.  simple enough for the average home user, yet many advanced features accessible from the command line for more advanced users.

• Like 3

Emporium I have a very good concept of Network design probably more than you ever  will and this this exactly why

I want an admin because I don't want to waste my time arguing with clueless people like you. Please stop

spamming this thread and let the devs respond to the bug report.  This was posted here as a bug report

so please let the developers look into this issue and if the developers have any.

Any I did SSH into the router and it is full duplex and it is still getting extremely slow speeds,

The full potential is a lot more than what it is pulling now. The speeds are horrible that I am getting

now from the Buzz TV XR 4000 box considering the network I am on which is a 1 Gbps connection and

1 Gbps across my whole network. This is a bug issue with the box so please let the Developers look into

this.

Again I am not on wireless this is a hard wired connection plugged right into the router itself.  So wireless

isn't even coming into play here.   When you have a cat 6 cable plugged directly into the Buzz TV XR 4000

box the speeds should be way higher than what I was getting. 

This is most definitely a bug that the developers should be looking at.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.1df71eac6d5300df75b77aeddd5dc872.png

Emporium I have a very good concept of Network design probably more than you ever  will and this this exactly why

I want an admin because I don't want to waste my time arguing with clueless people like you. Please stop

spamming this thread and let the devs respond to the bug report.  This was posted here as a bug report

so please let the developers look into this issue and if the developers have any.

Any I did SSH into the router and it is full duplex and it is still getting extremely slow speeds,

The full potential is a lot more than what it is pulling now. The speeds are horrible that I am getting

now from the Buzz TV XR 4000 box considering the network I am on which is a 1 Gbps connection and

1 Gbps across my whole network. This is a bug issue with the box so please let the Developers look into

this.

Genius doesn't know the limitation is on the BuzzTV box (10/100) Ethernet port. 
Here's the Screenshot of the specs (below). No wonder he is still working an Admin job. 

BuzzTV trys to upscale content to 4K killing the buffer on that old school 10/100 Ethernet.
Seems like now time to upgrade my Buzz to XRS or X5 model 

XR4000.PNG

XR4000.PNG

XR4000.PNG

Edited by Poison Aid
XR4000 specs image attachment

• 1 year later...

It isn't time for a new box they need to fix the issue.

nor did I mention 4K content either. Most of the

stuff I am streaming is 720P or 1080P

I have just as much if not more knowledge of networks

than most of the people here so don't say

"no wonder I am still working an admin job"

You shouldn't need any where close to 100 Mbit / s

to stream 720p or 1080P content either which is

what I am streaming.

But the speeds should  closer to the max than they are.

This is an issue that needs to  looked at.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, TheGhost said:

It isn't time for a new box they need to fix the issue.

nor did I mention 4K content either. Most of the

stuff I am streaming is 720P or 1080P

I have just as much if not more knowledge of networks

than most of the people here so don't say

"no wonder I am still working an admin job"

You shouldn't need any where close to 100 Mbit / s

to stream 720p or 1080P content either which is

what I am streaming.

But the speeds should  closer to the max than they are.

This is an issue that needs to  looked at.

You said you're a trained network admin

Yet for 2 years you can't figure out the issue? 

There is nothing to fix on our side. Issue is on your side. The Ethernet port speed on the 4000s work fine. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheGhost said:

Stop this harassment now Ryu it won't be on my side I know how to run my network right.

no harassment but shame on you that you know how to run your network and people dont. is that what you mean right? shame on you bud and on your statement.