Descriptive Audio

BruceBucky

In some cases, there is a second audio channel.  When watching channel full screen, if you press left to get the screen with the Close Captions/Audio/aspect ratio options , do you have anything under Audio, other than Disabled and your primary audio track (stereo or whatever) ?   If you do, you can select it. 

If you don't, then they are permanently on.   Maybe contact your provider and let them know that the channel is running/being encoded with the DV audio track instead of the regular one.  I know on one of my services there was one channel that would do that often.  Wasn't a huge issue, since it was a local channel and I would just select another local channel from the neighbouring city and typically had same programming, but after I notified them, they corrected shortly after.  Can't expect the operators to check every one of the 1000s of channels they are steaming on a daily basis.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can you please update software v5.0919 that was recently streamed to my 4500 on 2/9/24 to incorporate an option to disable the extremely annoying DVS:  Descriptive Video Service (blindness impaired) that is increasingly becoming encoded on many popular channels like: TCM?

Perhaps encode your LIVE default primary or secondary player an option under audio to disable the 2nd audio channel that supposedly carries DVS from the source?

We need BuzzTV software update please to include control of DVS if encoded by the content provider.

Edited by sdeens2024

7 minutes ago, sdeens2024 said:

Can you please update software v5.0919 that was recently streamed to my 4500 on 2/9/24 to incorporate an option to disable the extremely annoying DVS:  Descriptive Video Service (blindness impaired) that is increasingly becoming encoded on many popular channels like: TCM?

Perhaps encode your LIVE default primary or secondary player an option under audio to disable the 2nd audio channel that supposedly carries DVS from the source?

We need BuzzTV software update please to include control of DVS if encoded by the content provider.

What part of this is NOT controlled by the software did you not comprehend from the reply in the other forum ? 

This is the source stream that has enabled Descriptive video and you can't turn it off, unless someone advises the source that DVS is enabled and to turn it off on their end.  If there were 2 audio streams included in the feed (one with and one without DVS) you would have seen it when you press the "options" button when streaming the channel.

It's just like when you download a video stream from my security cameras.  I have enabled the timestamp and other message on my video feed.  YOU can't turn it off.  It is embedded and NOT "encoded" into the video.

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 1

SAP or audio 2 channel control is needed to disabled the annoying DVS that is infecting many popular LIVE channels like TCM

Because this perhaps can be done with an update to BuzzTV 5.0.919 because other Providers have incorporated text to speech control to circumvent the issue or thru better managing of SAP and the audio 2 channel.

Edited by sdeens2024

Just now, sdeens2024 said:

SAP or audio 2 channel control is needed to disabled the annoying DVS that is infecting many popular LIVE channels like TCM

can this be done with an update to BuzzTV 5.0.919?

NO, because it is not ENCODED into the stream you refer to.  It is embedded.   

The buzz software does support multiple language tracks and it works just fine with streams that have multiple audio.  Just like it works with multiple subtitles.  

If you get a movie that has hardcoded subtitles however, then you CANNOT disable them, since they are embedded in the video, not just a subtitle you can enable/disable.  Same idea with this audio.

• Like 1

obviously notifying the content stream provider is not an option, because they expect it can be disabled by provider IRD hardware directly.  

samsung TV’s Plus service  has a workaround they posted by enabling Spanish and flipping back to the English to disable it, so we need that type of feature incorporated into BuzzTV 5.0.919 so the “workaround” can be implemented seamlessly 

Edited by sdeens2024

Also it was posted that Accessibility: “Text to speech” engine settings can be tailored to disable the DVS if only one audio hardtack is available.

so there may be several possible workarounds to consider that can augmented to circumvent the hardcoded DVS to strip or MASK it out 

it’s a chronic problem with live TV news broadcasts /local stations and now it’s affecting the most popular premium channels.

it’s blocked supposedly easily by the STP in some providers  equipment 

Edited by sdeens2024

THERE IS NO WORKAROUND POSSIBLE for the streams you are referring to.  There is only 1 AUDIO track received on that stream and it has embedded Descriptive video not encoded, so it can't be selectively be turned off.

Just like you CAN'T disable hardcoded subtitles in some movies, since they are PART of the video.  You can't disable the DVS on these streams because they are PART of the audio stream and embeded, not encoded.  If they were encoded, you would see 2 audio streams.. On some of my private streams, I have some french channels that DO have 2 audio streams.. 1 is the normal basic audio, and the other one includes DVS when there is DVS for a specific program.

You don't seem to comprehend how IPTV works, and how the streams are obtained....  

• Like 2

Accessibility settings might be able to filter out the DVS if embedded into any audio track, because that’s how Samsung TVs watching their PLUS TV service managed it to work around the issue and if embedded into a 2nd audio track you simply flip back and forth between English/Spanish.

Also I watch a video suggested fysabking the DTS and MTS in Dolby Surround Sound neutralized DVS in feeds that listen to it on Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound

so three software options were found DVS:

1) Accessibity text to speech

2) disable DTS, audio 2 and MTS

3) flip language support

So if it’s hard embedded like hard subtitles then these work around options are useless, and obviously it’s only affecting  IPTV not subscribed legit devices like Netflix, Samsung TV plus who can stream content that is not infected or embedded this way.

This raises the question:

can the IPTV provider automatically purge such hard embedded DVS LIVE channels from being delivered?

Remove the channels if so infected by DVS?

Edited by sdeens2024
  • Haha 1

Cable or sat services have them encoded.. So you can control them.  IPTV streams are captured streams and they include whatever the source has enabled.  If they have accidently enabled DVS, then that is just too bad, and that is the audio stream you will get.   And no, it makes no sense for Buzz to start adding all sorts of dumb options to ty to filter out specific audio within an audio stream.  That is ludicrous.  Find another source for your channel.

I used to have a service in the past where one common channel I would watch, would every so often flip to DVS on.  I'd poke my contact at the service, and they would contact the source who would disable it..  Then few weeks later, it would come back and it would be a repeat of the same.  Eventually I found another source for the same channel.  That is why people always say, for IPTV, you should always have a backup service.

Anyhow, this is the last reply.. It is pointless to keep asking for something that can't be done.  The problem is not the software, it is the source stream.  If the stream has 2 audio streams, you will see it by pressing the "green" options button when you are watching the channel.  If not, you live with what they have.

And just because YOU don't want the DVS channels, does not mean the visually impaired don't.  You don't ant them (just like many of the international channels), just don't add them to your favorites list.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, sdeens2024 said:

obviously notifying the content stream provider is not an option, because they expect it can be disabled by provider IRD hardware directly.  

samsung TV’s Plus service  has a workaround they posted by enabling Spanish and flipping back to the English to disable it, so we need that type of feature incorporated into BuzzTV 5.0.919 so the “workaround” can be implemented seamlessly 

load an iptv app on your tv and let us know how that workaround worx

• Like 1