Netflix - "This device is not supported by the app"

• 2 weeks later...

I been recently testing the different versions of the netfllix app and what I found out is that some of the very  old versions (4.15.1 and 4.16.4 as examples), will allow you to navigate in the app with only your RCU needed, and do not need a mouse. You can scroll up and down and left and right.

But these older versions will only play a movie for about 30 seconds  and then they loose connection to the netflix servers.

So I tried other versions and the fist one was the 6.26.0 version, and it does work and stay connected, but you can not scroll up or down or left or right with the RCU.

A mouse needs to be attached to box in order to navigate in the app, which make for a unpleasant experience when lounging on your couch while channel surfing 😞

I then tried the newest versions (7.30.0 / 7.44.0 / 7.48.0)

All of these versions show the error 'Device Not Supported'

With these Buzz boxes you can test these versions rather easily.

In your Apitode Market, choose the netflix app to install.... and when that install screen opens, choose the 'Other Versions' option.

Install a  version, and thenafter install completes  don't leave that install page, but just the Open option and open the app from there and you will then see if or how the app works.

Exit out of app and you will be back in that same Market Place  install screen (because you never closed it). So use the 'Uninstall' option found there and then go on to choose another version of the Netflix app and repeat the process.

This takes away the need to leave the Market and go into system settings and into apps and delete the app from there. And then back into Market and open Netflix again and etc... 

Saves alot of time with your testing 🙂

As an example take a look at the video BigBison posted. The steps involved to get that Netflix version 6.26.0 are many.

But if you follow BigBision's other Netflix thread found in the xpl3000 forum, that one shows the steps I outlined above and is by far the fastest way with way less steps involved  to get to the same results (with the added bonus of the ability to select other versions of the app from right there in that Install screen ). I generally perfer installing these apps thru apk downloads but this netflix is a different story and this way saves loads of time with testing the different versions.

Well that was a long winded explanation just to get to the fact that version 6.26.0 do work on the Buzz box (or other builds of the same version) , but needs a mouse attached.

Would be great if NetFlix would again allow the navigation to be done with the RCU alone instead of the need of the mouse.

I know it must be possible because them older versions did work like that.

Edited by whacked
  • Like 1

work around for couch surfing without the need of the mouse

First thing is that yes we will need the mouse.

Use that mouse and scroll around in them categories and find some favorite TV Series that you might want to binge watch.

Mark them ones into 'My List'

Then once you get a few in there, lay down that mouse and grab your remote and put your remote into MOUSE mode. I been using the ARQ remote so the mouse mode is the airless (point and play).

Open the My List from  the icon thingy up in the top left hand corner. Choose the TV series you added and point to season and episode and click and play.

Your RCU mouse mode will do the job, but the ARQ remote with its airless wave action works even better. Then we can couch surf those in your MY LIST category and binge watch the seasons with the RCU and no need for the mouse on the couch action 🙂

Edited by whacked
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:34 PM, whacked said:

I been recently testing the different versions of the netfllix app and what I found out is that some of the very  old versions (4.15.1 and 4.16.4 as examples), will allow you to navigate in the app with only your RCU needed, and do not need a mouse. You can scroll up and down and left and right.

But these older versions will only play a movie for about 30 seconds  and then they loose connection to the netflix servers.

So I tried other versions and the fist one was the 6.26.0 version, and it does work and stay connected, but you can not scroll up or down or left or right with the RCU.

A mouse needs to be attached to box in order to navigate in the app, which make for a unpleasant experience when lounging on your couch while channel surfing 😞

I then tried the newest versions (7.30.0 / 7.44.0 / 7.48.0)

All of these versions show the error 'Device Not Supported'

With these Buzz boxes you can test these versions rather easily.

In your Apitode Market, choose the netflix app to install.... and when that install screen opens, choose the 'Other Versions' option.

Install a  version, and thenafter install completes  don't leave that install page, but just the Open option and open the app from there and you will then see if or how the app works.

Exit out of app and you will be back in that same Market Place  install screen (because you never closed it). So use the 'Uninstall' option found there and then go on to choose another version of the Netflix app and repeat the process.

This takes away the need to leave the Market and go into system settings and into apps and delete the app from there. And then back into Market and open Netflix again and etc... 

Saves alot of time with your testing 🙂

As an example take a look at the video BigBison posted. The steps involved to get that Netflix version 6.26.0 are many.

But if you follow BigBision's other Netflix thread found in the xpl3000 forum, that one shows the steps I outlined above and is by far the fastest way with way less steps involved  to get to the same results (with the added bonus of the ability to select other versions of the app from right there in that Install screen ). I generally perfer installing these apps thru apk downloads but this netflix is a different story and this way saves loads of time with testing the different versions.

Well that was a long winded explanation just to get to the fact that version 6.26.0 do work on the Buzz box (or other builds of the same version) , but needs a mouse attached.

Would be great if NetFlix would again allow the navigation to be done with the RCU alone instead of the need of the mouse.

I know it must be possible because them older versions did work like that.

Thanks for the info

The device not supported message
Is because Aptoide is hosting app versions of Netflix which are for X86 Devices and ARM devices, and unlike the Playstore
They don't have anything built in to detect if the device you're using is X86 or ARM based processor

Its also why when you just click the Install option on Netflix on Aptoide, that its installing the X86 Version and therefore you get the Device Not Supported message.

As for needing a mouse on 6.26.0
Its because Netflix's newer versions they made mainly only work for Touch Screen devices.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...