PVR isuue

Peter Smetana

Once I program recording for example for a two hour session, the device cuts off recording after 30 minutes. I looked up all the PVR options, but the only solution I found was to enable extra recording time up to 90 min, but I doubt that solves the problem. What if I need to record more than two hours? Any ideas how to solve this? 

I get this too. Mine’s a XR4500, and I’ll have to provide the iptv version later. But—while not every time—frequently the box will arbitrarily stop recording long before the end of the time that I have programmed. In the case of a 3-hour show, it has recorded only 90 minutes…but it has also been less - sometimes ALOT less.

I did discover that if I enter the PVR section to see if it is indeed recording as I have set it to…it will stop at that moment without telling me. Therefore—hours later when I sit down to watch my 3-hour recording…I discover that it’s only 90 minutes long (or less). The short-term solution is to NOT enter the PVR app during the recording—which seems to solve the problem—but it creates a “gun-shy” opinion about the box; I’m afraid to interact with it in ANY way when it’s recording, which is frustrating.

Hi, well now that I have upgraded my 4500 box to Beta 5 I can't schedule a recording. When I press the red button to record a pop up says to grant permission which I do and then a Buzztv 5 app menu just  appears on the right side. What do I do?  

3 hours ago, Guess said:

Hi, well now that I have upgraded my 4500 box to Beta 5 I can't schedule a recording. When I press the red button to record a pop up says to grant permission which I do and then a Buzztv 5 app menu just  appears on the right side. What do I do?  

The permission thing should only be happen the "first" time you ever do it.  After that it should work as expected.  IS it happening ALL the the time, or did you just test it once and post ?

Do you have one button recording enabled ?   

When you schedule a recording, are you doing that manually, or selecting a show through the EPG ?  While in the EPG, you can go to a show in the future, and hit OK, and it ill popup a menu which allows you to set a reminder, or schedule a recording.  PS: Since many shows are delayed by a minute or 2, I strongly recommend people enable the "Extra recording time" option in the PVR options.  Something like 3 to 5 minutes would be perfect, that way, your show does not get cut 1 or 2 minutes before it is finished 🙂

33 minutes ago, Maestro701 said:

No one said if their storage was full or what size they were using. 

Bear in mind folks that recordings have a maximum file size of about 4GB

True.. Depending on how many apps you have installed and how many other recording, if you are using only internal storage, there may be a fiesystem full issue 🙂

FAT32 is the reason for the 4GB limit per file (if using external portable storage).  However I have a 64GB stick which I formatted on my windows PC which defaults to exFAT, which does NOT have the 4GB limit.  And my X5 is perfectly happy with that stick as removable storage.  Also, not sure if the PVR module would fail after 4GB, or would it just create a multis-egmented recording (ie: over multiple files) ?

I have not tried to do a large recording, but unless there is some artificial hardcoded limit, it will not be the filesystem which will restrict the file size to 4GB if you are using exFAT.  I know recently I had copied 9GB+  movie files onto USB sticks to play on my box using MXplayer.

Now if you go to the older boxes (using Android 9 or lower), I have not tested exFAT on those, since I typically stream most media from my NAS.  I can run some tests on my 4500 tomorrow, and test that out if the 4GB limit is an issue - by just recording some super long show (but doubt that is the issue here unless they are using a SUPER high bitrate stream).

Edited by Emporium

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 4900 and many times it doesn't record a full program, even when the red (rec light) is on the whole times. Other times it will record and if you hit rewind or fast fwd it goes back to the beginning every time. There are times it works perfect and it all works the way it's supposed to but more time it doesn't and I can say I honestly don't trust it.

I know in the past (Pre-BuzzTV5), if the stream was interrupted (buffering, glitches or otherwise), the recording would stop.  Just wondering if it is possible that the stream is being interrupted (even for a split second).   Are you connected WiFi, or Wired ?  Does your service have occasional buffering or micro-glitches ?

I can't comment on how BuzzTV 5 handles interrupted streams, since I don't do too much recording.  Most of what I want to watch is typically available on the TVSeries section of my IPTV service, the very next day (sometimes even the same day).

8 minutes ago, Emporium said:

I know in the past (Pre-BuzzTV5), if the stream was interrupted (buffering, glitches or otherwise), the recording would stop.  Just wondering if it is possible that the stream is being interrupted (even for a split second).   Are you connected WiFi, or Wired ?  Does your service have occasional buffering or micro-glitches ?

I can't comment on how BuzzTV 5 handles interrupted streams, since I don't do too much recording.  Most of what I want to watch is typically available on the TVSeries section of my IPTV service, the very next day (sometimes even the same day).

It tries to keep recording for 2 minutes if a stream buffers or becomes corrupted
The issue with most servers is they use Dynamic URLs, so if the stream buffers or disconnects on the server side for more than 2 minutes.
When it fixes itself, it creates a new Dynamic url, therefore the recording cannot continue and finishes.

• Like 4

It tries to keep recording for 2 minutes if a stream buffers or becomes corrupted
The issue with most servers is they use Dynamic URLs, so if the stream buffers or disconnects on the server side for more than 2 minutes.
When it fixes itself, it creates a new Dynamic url, therefore the recording cannot continue and finishes.

Do you know which servers available that don't use dynamic URL's, is there a way for us to find this out?

allaboutbuzz,

After you setup an overnight recording  and shut the TV off, does the X5 then go into an identical "standyby" mode (red light) whether it is set to "Shutdown" or "Suspend" -- OR with "Shutdown" does it fully power down and then wake up to record using the built-in RTC battery inside the X5 ??