Questions about BuzzTV Beta 5

stdly

Just found this forum last night, I did a lot of reading not just here but can’t find these answers.

I have a BuzzTV XR4500 running BuzzTv Version 4.0.530, 07/12/2022 and would like to test the beta 5 but have a couple questions.

Is this an update or a clean install?

Will the server and other settings still be there?

Will apps like Kodi need to be reinstalled?

My original remote died but I have a ARQ100 can I complete the setup with only this remote?

2 hours ago, nbs. said:

Don't know what you mean by a clean install  but it is an update

Yes to all the other questions 

A small percentage of users have issues and need to reset it to fix it but not many 

Thank you appreciated.

I am used to hacking my phones so I can usually do an update this means keeping all my info, or a clean install start fresh. So I figured an update would keep all previous apps and settings.

When you are on beta channel, glitches are to be expected.  This is why my main box (the xrs4900 the wife watches) is NOT on beta channel (it is on last released public version), but all my other boxes (including my other 4900) are on beta.  

But all the apps I typically install on my box, I keep a USB stick with all the APK (mxplayer pro, vlc player, titan player, b33tv, iptv player pro, stbemu, plex, solid explorer,  and a few others) .  So when I need to do a reset, it is quite simple to load up all the apps back to the box in a few minutes through the app installer.  Entering a few servers is not too complicated (and with the new "web" page to enter servers, it is even simpler.  But even before the web page was a feature, I had a small cherry USB keyboard/touchpad always handy to zip through all the configurations a little easier than an onscreen keyboard via a remote.

The longest part after a reset (in my opinion), is going through all the channels and flagging the favorites 🙂  That would be a sweet feature to be able to backup the favorites for a particular service, and then be able to recall them after a reset.  All the rest, take a max of 15 minutes.  IF however you have something like Kodi and piles of plugins installed, I agree that it can take some time to reconfigure it and all the plugins.  But I no longer use Kodi.

Typically, yes, and update will NOT affect your installed programs or settings.  But there are sometimes glitches which can affect some types of installations more than others, and being on beta, you accept the "risks".

Edited by Emporium
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emporium said:

When you are on beta channel, glitches are to be expected.  This is my main box (the one the wife watches) is NOT on beta channel (it is on last released public version), but all my other boxes are on beta).  

But all the apps I install on my box, I keep a USB stick with all the APK (mxplayer pro, vlc player, titan player, b33tv, iptv player pro, stbemu, plex, solid explorer,  and a few others  .  So when I need to do a reset, it is quite simple to load up all the apps back to the box in a few minutes through the app installer.  Entering a few servers is not too complicated (and with the new "web" page to enter servers, it is even simpler.  But even before the web page, I had a small cherry USB keyboard/touchpad always handy to zip through all the configurations.

The longest part after a reset (in my opinion), is going through all the channels and flagging the favorites 🙂  That would be a sweet feature to be able to backup the favorites for a particular service, and then be able to recall them after a reset.  All the rest, take a max of 15 minutes.  IF however you have something like Kodi and piles of plugins installed, I agree that it can take some time to reconfigure it and all the plugins.  But I no longer use Kodi.

Typically, yes, and update will NOT affect your installed programs or settings.  But there are sometimes glitches which can affect some types of installations more than others, and being on beta, you accept the "risks".

Thanks for your reply.

This is my only box and I understand the risk my wife thinks I am nuts to buy a new phone and hack it the same day .

I don’t use many apps only KODI, Solid Explorer, and Live TV.

I have around 3500 video files to import and the SMB can be tricky. I created a backup of the KODI data folder so I am hoping it it will restore my SMB settings as well?

I don’t use favourites.

I was more hoping to get search and pause Live TV working.

42 minutes ago, stdly said:

Thanks for your reply.

This is my only box and I understand the risk my wife thinks I am nuts to buy a new phone and hack it the same day .

I don’t use many apps only KODI, Solid Explorer, and Live TV.

I have around 3500 video files to import and the SMB can be tricky. I created a backup of the KODI data folder so I am hoping it it will restore my SMB settings as well?

I don’t use favourites.

I was more hoping to get search and pause Live TV working.

then submit your mac(server id)

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to doing this today.

From Version 4.0.530

2022-07-12

-

To Version 5.0.766 2022-09-19

When I got into BuzzTV 5 all of my information was there my Gmail the last time I used apps on BuzzTV 4 it started downloading my apps from Gplay.

I was under the impression I would be working on a clean install.

I backup to a USB drive and left it in when I updated could that be it?

On the home screen if I go to settings and push anything there it goes to black screen and asks if I want to close it or wait, maybe something conflicting from my BuzzTV 4 Install?

I can push on live TV and it asked me to setup sever which I could not get from the settings button and TV is working.

Also I can pick VOD, TV Series and PVR but none of the other apps/icons on the home screen, I get the crash again .

Should I do a reset or hard reset?

Do I still need to PM my mac to get updates?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...