X5 how to

Terry Knapper

27 minutes ago, Terry Knapper said:

So , if I am recording a show, say, Fri from 11PM until 12 midnight, and I want

to extend the recording by 5 min then I have to set up a 2nd scheduled recording

from Fri at mid until the following Sat at 5 min after midnight.  

Does that sound about right?

How did you setup this recording?

Manual Scheduling or through the EPG?

If Manual, just setup the Start and End Times yourself

If through EPG
2 ways

Press Menu
PVR
PVR Options
Extra Recording Time, set how many minutes you want all recordings to make to have time added to the end time.

Press Menu
PVR
Scheduled Recordings

Highlight the Recording you want to edit
Press the yellow button to edit it
You can change the end time on here and save it.

• Like 1

You are right. Actually you HAVE to change the end time if the end time is 0000;

you HAVE to either add or subtract time, the scheduled recording will not allow a time of 0000.

As far as adding time to all recordings, say 5 min, I have run into problems recording two shows,

one after the other.

I almost always start my scheduled recording(s) from the EPG, then edit it in the scheduled section.  

27 minutes ago, Terry Knapper said:

You are right. Actually you HAVE to change the end time if the end time is 0000;

you HAVE to either add or subtract time, the scheduled recording will not allow a time of 0000.

As far as adding time to all recordings, say 5 min, I have run into problems recording two shows,

one after the other.

I almost always start my scheduled recording(s) from the EPG, then edit it in the scheduled section.  

it allows that time if you change the date like I said earlier

if you do it from epg it shows 12:00 am and next day

Edited by dishuser

Guess who?

If a scheduled recording is in progress, then the stream  buffers or what ever

would disrupt the stream; will the X5 keep recording, or stop at that point.

If it does stop, then  the stream returns, as far as the X5 is concerned, it has recorded the show.?.?

I have the buffer time set to 10 sec, if that would make any difference. 

Terry,

In your July 24 post, you relayed "I toggled the CEC(TV) OFF.  If I physically UNPLUG my TV, while watching X5, the X5 turns off and the X5 remote will NOT turn it back on.  When I am watching X5, and I UNPLUG the HDMI cable from the X5 to the TV, the X5 turns off and the X5 remote will NOT turn it back on. The reason I am making such a big deal out of this is because I am getting unreliable recording.

Emporium confirmed this using a computer monitor (without CEC). He posted, “So it looks like the X5, even though CEC is switched off, it still detects monitor being turned off, and it goes into a Standby mode.  And obviously, the remote has no way to wake it up, since the remote device is still powered off.  IF I turn on the monitor, the box turns on and is ready before my monitor even has a chance to initialize. So it seems like the X5, regardless if you have turned off the CEC option in the settings, it ignores it, and still follows the remote device state.

Just wondering if you had any update on this issue or had a PM from Buzz ?

@cyrowth quickly checking my setup, I realized that my monitors support DDC/CI instead of HDMI-CEC. It is a little different protocol, which allows you to control your instance over the cable. What option are available is dependent on the model.   So the testing I did seems was not impacted by HDMI-CEC since my monitor does not have HDMI-CEC (my mistake)

Having said that, I did try to disable the DDC/CI on my monitor (since there is an option).  But it made no difference.  When I turn off the monitor, the X5 would suspend.

However, since I am running a few tests on some boxes (X5 and HD5), I connected an el-cheapo 3-1 HDMI switch to avoid plugging and unplugging.  Well, with the switch connected, I can turn off the monitor and the X5 stays on. 

I suspect that what I am experiencing during my tests has nothing to do with CEC or even DDC/CI.   It is probably just matter of detection of termination.  When the monitor is turned off, it is probably disabling the termination resistors and as such it not detected as being connected.  This triggers the X5 to go into standby.  

Now, is there a way around that, I have no clue at what level this detection is done (s/w and/or h/w).  Only Buzz would be able to confirm if this is a behavior that can be controlled by software.

I rarely turn of my monitor manually, so it does not affect me much.  When I power off my X5, the monitor itself goes into a "suspend" mode (so I don't manually power it off).  So when the X5 needs to wake up to record, it has no issue, since the monitor will just switch to active.  I can see however how this may not be the same for every situation.

Right now, say I turn on the X5 and start watching TV.  Then as I am watching, I decide to turn off the monitor, the X5 goes into suspend mode.  No matter what you do with the remote you cannot turn on the X5.  The only way to turn it back on, is to turn on the monitor.  This may be TV/Monitor dependant (depending what the TV does internally to the HDMI port when you turn it off).  However same exercise can be done, if you are watching TV and then just unplug the HDMI cable, the player will go into suspend mode.  If the player goes into suspend because you turned the monitor/tv off, OR unplugged the HDMI cable, you can not turn the x5 back on (at least not the one I have and the June firmware).  

I have not tried it yet, to see if I set a scheduled recording, and put the unit into standby (by turning the monitor off), if it will succeed to turn itself back on to actually record [considering you can't turn it on with the remote under this condition].

I will run more tests during the day.  And I will test the same on the HD5.  I know my 4900 and 4500 do not behave that way (at least not that I recall, but I will retest them also).

Terry,

Are you still having any recording issues as outlined previously ??  It seemed at one point you were concerned that since the X5 went into a "suspend" mode when your TV was powered off, that it was prematurely terminating recordings already in progress and preventing future recordings by not waking up from whatever state it went into when the TV turned off.  Are your recordings of current and future shows working correctly now as well as when recording back to back shows on the same channel ??

9 minutes ago, Terry Knapper said:

"cyrowth"

I am still having issues when I try to record back to back shows on the same channel.

Soon I am going to try recording back to back shows on different channels.

I am also going to try three or four recordings at the same time.

I have a 5 connection sub.

that's probably because you have extra recording time selected

"dishuser",

you may have a point there.

I will drop "extended" record time when I try my next recording sessions.

Having just said that, I would think that "extra" record time should not come into play

if the X5 can record multiple recordings at the same time., if your sub, like mine ,has multiple connections.

Edited by Terry Knapper

1 minute ago, Terry Knapper said:

If I am recording b to b shows, wouldn't you think the X5 would consider that

two separate recordings?

Same channel or not.

Any way, over the next few days I will by trying various scenarios and I'll

post the results.

I will be using a 5 connection sub.

Depends how you set it up

If you have extra time set on first recording there will be a conflict with 2nd recording

• Like 1