X5 how to

Terry Knapper

I'm back. 

A weird thing happened last night on my X5.

There was a continues circle( like a buffering circle) all night.

The Live TV would play but the circle stayed.

I rebooted the X5, using the remote(not factory reset)

and all was well.

Rebooting with the remote meant I had to re-organize all my groups!!!

Probably disconnecting the power from the  X5 MAY have accomplished   

the same thing but I'll never know.

25 minutes ago, Terry Knapper said:

I'm back. 

A weird thing happened last night on my X5.

There was a continues circle( like a buffering circle) all night.

The Live TV would play but the circle stayed.

I rebooted the X5, using the remote(not factory reset)

and all was well.

Rebooting with the remote meant I had to re-organize all my groups!!!

Probably disconnecting the power from the  X5 MAY have accomplished   

the same thing but I'll never know.

Is there anyway you can reduce the size of your Font when you make posts

Thanks

• Thanks 2

The remote give you two options.

Factory reset (big deal)

Restart, which I did.

Restart meant I had to re-organize all my groups

Factory reset cleared everything.

In my case a un-plug of the X5, wait 10 sec or so then plug the power back in

may have cleared my "circle" issue.

Restart did.

TK

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, Terry Knapper said:

Apparently, there is a "fix" coming so that the X5 will stop rebooting when you go to YouTube while using ethernet.   

I had an issue about 10 days ago where clicking on icons for SmartTube Next & Prime Video would not open the app but it would appear as if the box was restarting - except that the light on front of the box remained blue but the screen would show what you would normally see when you reboot the box.  It was strange indeed - for 2-3 weeks when i first had the box, even after the 20220714 update for a week or so, everything was fine then, out of nowhere, had this issue with only these 2 apps.

Called the Canadian office who put me in touch with a Senior Tech in Las Vegas who knew the solution before i explained all of the issue to him (i'm guessing it affected other people besides me)  He called me  about 5 minutes after i hung up with Canadian office & told me to switch from ethernet to wi-fi.  I had an issue trying to connect initially when i got the box so i stuck with ethernet, which worked fine.  Tried to connect again & connection was made.  Once i made the change to wi-fi, the issue was gone & haven't had it for about 10 days now.  He did mention what caused the issue (something about 'keys' - all Greek to me!!)

Now, i need to figure out how to record a show - all i get is an icon for the recording but nothing recorded.  Is it true you need to be on the station you are recording in order for it to record properly??  I thought i had read that somewhere - which, if true, is asinine.  You don't have to do that with TiviMate!  I am, btw, recording to the internal storage - no HD/SSD attached at the moment.  Any suggestions or words of wisdom gladly accepted!

On 7/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, Terry Knapper said:

Lets talk about support for a moment.

I just got a call from "Mike".

He got me headed  in the right direction instantly!!!!

Great support and a good guy to talk with. He was able

to talk to me on my level, quite an attribute.

LOL, that was the Senior Tech i referred to in my first post.  I spoke to him too - yes, i concur, great guy & made 'tech speak' easy to understand!

On 7/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, Terry Knapper said:

The problem I see with "catch up" is that you can't pick a starting point.

I mean you have to go to the beginning of a "catch up" show(TV). 

All depends how dependable your providers EPG is.  I had no problem with either service i had that offered it till they decided to discontinue it fearing 'copyright infringement' which is a load of crapola - truth be told, they discontinue due to expensiveness of providing it & it's difficult to maintain!

On 7/24/2022 at 3:31 PM, Terry Knapper said:

p.s. I believe that my X5 remote NOT powering on my X5 is the first thing to clear up.

Did you not pair the remote to the box first thing you set up when you first turned the box on??  That the BT400 remote for the box doesn't power the box on/off is weird indeed.  Then you perform a two button press (can't remember which off hand) to pair the remote to control your TV's power & volume.

P.S.  Why are your posts not aligned properly??  From what device/browser are you posting?

On 7/25/2022 at 7:44 AM, Terry Knapper said:

Pro's & con's, from my humble perspective;

The X5 EPG is much superior to my TiviMate app.

I like the lay out of the "home" screen.

I like that the "favs" are on the "home screen" for all to see

The x5 is only a player - it is not an IPTV service.  The EPG comes from your provider.  And sorry, NOTHING beats TiviMate.  If you were to ask 100 people, 90+ would pick TM hands down.  It's the best IPTV player bar none.  But, to each his own.

The ONLY thing the x5 has on TiviMate is the option to pause/ff/rew Live TV & even that is dependent on your provider(s).  The 'home' screen looks like it was made by a 14 yr. old in his basement in the 80s!   

As for boxes, my Shield Pro runs circles around the x5, even if the processor is superior & it has an extra gig of RAM on the x5  - the major reasons i bought the x5 is on the strength of Troypoint's recommendation of it & the pause/ff/rew feature, not to mention i got it for 20% off over the Canada Day holiday!! 

from a shield owner he posted this last year

C/P

I have a Shield Pro and put it in the den last night. My Shield runs Tivimate also. I got y Buzz 4900 yesterday and after setting it up without a single problem I decided this will stay in our living room. My wife LOVES it....thank god lol.
I put Tivimate on it as well as Kodi with the Doomsday Aspire build and IpVanish and I am going to say the Buzz is faster then my shield. You can use Tivimate or the BuzzTv App which works very well. With the click of a button you can change servers seemlessly or watch a PVR recoding or watch VOD etc etc. I also recorded a show last night to see how that worked and it was also flawless. I even hooked up a wireless Keyboard/mouse to the Buzz4900 and that also worked with out a single problem. So far I can not speak high enough about the Buzz4900. I haven't had it freeze or crash with all the crap I installed on it yesterday lol. The remote is a very good size as well and the backlit buttons are pretty cool. I really believe that Buzz has made a box that can contend with the Nvidia Shield only I find the Buzz4900 smoother to operate. One other thing....I find the picture extremely clear as well as the sound.

Good point about the internal storage - hehe, forgot about that big one!

The extra RAM is hardly noticeable tbh.  I See now that there are boxes out with 8 Gigs!

From the Shield owner you posted about -

"I really believe that Buzz has made a box that can contend with the Nvidia Shield only I find the Buzz4900 smoother to operate."

To each his/her own eh?!

Edited by websurferdude

• 2 weeks later...