How to turn power on without rebooting?

PapaS

@nbs. I can get to those settings and it's set to "shutdown." If I set it to "restart" my TV and receiver powers off but the blue light on the x5 stays lit up so I'm thinking it's not powering off. If I leave the power key definition set to "shutdown" my TV, receiver and box all turn off properly. The problem is when I try to power back on,  instead of the x5 starting  on the homepage it starts by restarting the box (reboot). It does restart properly after rebooting I can use the box but I'm just wondering 🤔 why it doesn't power on to homepage anymore.  Thanks for your response @nbs.

• Like 1

Not sure how to do that. For the past 2 weeks its just went straight to homescreen when I turned it on instead of restarting and then going to homescreen. If you could tell me where to go in settings to change this it would be greatly appreciated @nbs.

1 hour ago, PapaS said:

Not sure how to do that. For the past 2 weeks its just went straight to homescreen when I turned it on instead of restarting and then going to homescreen. If you could tell me where to go in settings to change this it would be greatly appreciated @nbs.

Sorry not near a tv right now Someone else should be able to help

28 minutes ago, nbs. said:

Hit the menu button ,settings ,config,and turn on start live yv on boot See if it'll go there

@nbs.Thanks, I tried this and hoped for the best but still powers on by first rebooting then the homepage popped on briefly before the buzzlive tv app opened on its own. 

10 hours ago, PapaS said:

@nbs. I can get to those settings and it's set to "shutdown." If I set it to "restart" my TV and receiver powers off but the blue light on the x5 stays lit up so I'm thinking it's not powering off. If I leave the power key definition set to "shutdown" my TV, receiver and box all turn off properly. The problem is when I try to power back on,  instead of the x5 starting  on the homepage it starts by restarting the box (reboot). It does restart properly after rebooting I can use the box but I'm just wondering 🤔 why it doesn't power on to homepage anymore.  Thanks for your response @nbs.

Whe it is set to shutdown that is what the box does Suspend is the setting that takes it to homescreen right away

In my opinion  setting it to shutdown is better for the box

3 minutes ago, nbs. said:

Whe it is set to shutdown that is what the box does Suspend is the setting that takes it to homescreen right away

In my opinion  setting it to shutdown is better for the box

Thanks again.  In my settings I have 2 options.  First 1 is "shutdown" and the 2nd is "restart" I don't have one that says "suspend"

• 3 weeks later...

I have the suspend option showing. However, when I use it, the x5 light goes red, and then it comes back blue. When I turn on the TV, it is running again as the light shows. If I change the option to turn off, it goes through the reboot process to start up.

Is the box supposed to be turned off each time, or can we put is asleep or something?

Same here.. Just tested it.

Power off from X5 remote is a proper power off (since I have powerkey definition set that way).   

But if I turn off my monitor (which is where the X5 is presently connected), about 5 seconds later, the light in front of the X5 goes RED.  Turn on monitor and before monitor even has time to turn LCD on, the X5 is already powered up, led is blue, and image is ready.  So it obviously goes into suspend.  I checked and  under CEC control, I have CEC Switch enabled, and the Device auto power off is also enabled (but it does not power off, it goes to suspend.   

For me it does not bother me one way or another.  I usually do a full power off out of habit from ages ago, since there were funny behavior over time.  I have not tried the X5 long enough using suspend to see if there are still strange behaviors after a while.  I always assumed it was due to all sorts of strange states, memory leaks and other unexpected states, but I guess time will tell.    Guess "if" it is an option maybe they can add a dropdown/submenu to the "Device auto power off", so we can select "disable, power off, or suspend". 

@PapaS you say you have 2 options, shutdown and restart.  I am assuming you are referring to the options if you LONG press the power button on the remote.  If you just quickly hit the power key on the remote, it will just do whatever is defined under the "Settings->More Settings->Powerkey Definition"  There you have option for suspend, force suspend, shutdown and restart.  Not sure what the difference is between suspend and force suspend however.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:41 PM, Emporium said:

Same here.. Just tested it.

Power off from X5 remote is a proper power off (since I have powerkey definition set that way).   

But if I turn off my monitor (which is where the X5 is presently connected), about 5 seconds later, the light in front of the X5 goes RED.  Turn on monitor and before monitor even has time to turn LCD on, the X5 is already powered up, led is blue, and image is ready.  So it obviously goes into suspend.  I checked and  under CEC control, I have CEC Switch enabled, and the Device auto power off is also enabled (but it does not power off, it goes to suspend.   

For me it does not bother me one way or another.  I usually do a full power off out of habit from ages ago, since there were funny behavior over time.  I have not tried the X5 long enough using suspend to see if there are still strange behaviors after a while.  I always assumed it was due to all sorts of strange states, memory leaks and other unexpected states, but I guess time will tell.    Guess "if" it is an option maybe they can add a dropdown/submenu to the "Device auto power off", so we can select "disable, power off, or suspend". 

@PapaS you say you have 2 options, shutdown and restart.  I am assuming you are referring to the options if you LONG press the power button on the remote.  If you just quickly hit the power key on the remote, it will just do whatever is defined under the "Settings->More Settings->Powerkey Definition"  There you have option for suspend, force suspend, shutdown and restart.  Not sure what the difference is between suspend and force suspend however.

@emporium I was without internet since Sunday due to squirrels chewing my optic fiber cable to pieces so sorry for not responding sooner. I did only have two options but after the update a week ago all four started showing again so it was all good.👍 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 7:41 PM, Emporium said:

I have not tried the X5 long enough using suspend to see if there are still strange behaviors after a while.  I always assumed it was due to all sorts of strange states, memory leaks and other unexpected states, but I guess time will tell.    

Just like with a computer/laptop (& the x5), it depends.  I generally leave my laptops/desktop on 'hibernate' but occasionally, i will restart it to clear out the cache, eliminate memory leaks, etc. that sometimes creep in.

I have found with the x5 (as well with other IPTV boxes i have) that doing a shutdown cuts down the number of those things from occurring.  Had the x5 in 'suspend' mode, started it up & it was acting 'funky' - channels wouldn't open - message appearing 'stream isn't available, etc.

So...i keep the option to 'shutdown' when i'm done with the box!  

• Like 1

I always do shutdown nowadays.  I recall on my 4900 when I first got it, after 2 or 3 suspends, my network would continuously cycle in and out (and I am always wired).   I went to shutdown, and never had an issue again.  So I continue to always use shutdown.   

Actually even on PCs, I have always disabled hibernate and suspend options.  Especially with windows 7 and below, it was a hit and miss all the time.  I have to admit, windows 10 is not as bad (I use suspend on my surface pro and it is stable overall - but then again, if it doesn't work well on a Microsoft hardware and software combination, there is a serious issue).   However I still do shutdowns on my business laptop and workstation PC.  Last thing I need is for MS Teams to start acting funky in the middle of a business meeting.  It can do that on it's own already without any help, so trying to keep the odds in my favor 🙂