arm64-v8a Android OS support on XR/XRS4000?

Tornado15550

Hey folks,

I've noticed that the XRS4000 has a 64-bit capable CPU, but is running a 32-bit version of Android. Is there any reason why the 64-bit Arm64-v8a version of Android was not used?
Are there any plans to release a 64bit version of the OS? The point of having a 64-bit capable CPU is negated if the OS cannot make use of the newer instruction set.

1 hour ago, SloppyJoe said:

I don't think you can use 32 bit with 64.  So I'm pretty sure it's all 64 bit software

Even if the hardware supports 64-bit, the software needs to support it too. You can most definitely install a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system. Try installing an  arm64-v8a APK on your XRS4000/XR4000 and it will fail to install because the OS supports armv7 (32-bit) only.

Edited by Tornado15550

20 hours ago, Tornado15550 said:

Even if the hardware supports 64-bit, the software needs to support it too. You can most definitely install a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system. Try installing an  arm64-v8a APK on your XRS4000/XR4000 and it will fail to install because the OS supports armv7 (32-bit) only.

amlogic sdk originally only supported 32bit for this processor (s905x2). I believe 64bit is either coming or in beta at the moment. 

• Like 1